General discussion

Can't Boot windows

Hi, new here and in need of a lot of help. I tried to boot my desktop this morning and was told that I could not logon due to missing files, that I should insert my desk and run repair to fix the problem. So I did, then after the repair ran and the comp rebooted I went to the XP setup page that you see while XP is installing. After a few minutes I get the following message: Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. Set up log files contain more info. So I hit enter and see the file log, which is blank. So now every time I start my PC I can boot from the disk and enter Recovery console or just reinstall windows. Or I get the option of entering safe mode, last known good, or normal startup. Well, safe mode doesn't work because I get told setup cannot run in safe mode. But if I choose lsat known good or normal I go into setup and the above happens. So anyone know if I am screwed or what? I really don't have a prob with dumping and reinstalling, with the exception of really needing to get some stuff out of "My Documents". Can I copy to an external HD through recovery console? Thanks a ton of any help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can't Boot windows
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't Boot windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tip:

If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

- Collapse -
Sorry bout that

Ah yeah sorry, running Xp Home, and when I said I inserted the disk and ran repair, I meant the XP home installation disk. I did that because when I could not login when I booted up my comp, I was told by Xp that some files where missed or corrupt and I should insert my XP disk so windows could repair or replace the missing files. Something along those lines anyway, I can't remember it exately.

- Collapse -
Recovery

CNET Forums

Forum Info