HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't boot up Windows XP

by cjlivinlife / July 21, 2009 10:51 AM PDT

Start up the pc and just get a screen that says missing msconfig file. I tried to boot up in safe mode and tried all of the options there but can get past this error that I am missing msconfig file. I got the restore CD from dell and put it in the cd drive and booted up the pc but nothing happened. I am not sure if I just need to go get a new pc or this can be fixed??? Thanks for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't boot up Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't boot up Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you get into the BIOS?
by Coryphaeus / July 21, 2009 12:32 PM PDT

If so, set the boot order to the optical drive first, then boot with the CD in the drive.

Since you told nothing about make and model, only you know how to enter the BIOS. Read the owner's manual for the proper key/s to press on first boot up to enter the BIOS.

Collapse -
Cant boot up windows XP
by cjlivinlife / July 22, 2009 9:50 PM PDT

The error message is: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

It is a dell dimension 2100 with a Celeron 1.1GHz, XP Home Edition PC purchased 11/28/2001

I am not sure how to get to the BIOS

Collapse -
Bios entry...
by Willy / July 22, 2009 10:03 PM PDT

Read the manual or visit Dell's support website. Here is the link:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2100/

Review the above and find the keys that access bios area. I don't mention it as the bios has various keys from too many systems that vary, so please read. Once you're in the bios check the "boot order" and as earlier posted verify that the CD drive is the 1st device on the list. Save and exit out. Upon rebooting, it should see the XP CD and try your repairs, etc..

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Hit DEL key to enter bios
by Willy / July 22, 2009 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Bios entry...
Collapse -
CROSS POSTED.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 10:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
cd
by peataxer / July 27, 2009 7:27 PM PDT

Try to boot from CD, in BIOS choose first device to CD and pree sny key to start.

Collapse -
Cant boot up windows XP
by cjlivinlife / July 28, 2009 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: cd

I tried everything that was suggested and to no avail. Could not boot up to the recovery disc. Tried the BIOS and it kept going back to the A floppy drive. I gave up and because the computer was a 2001 anyways I purchased a new computer. Thanks for the suggestions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.