Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't boot...HDD not found

by Menzina / December 16, 2007 1:32 PM PST

Hello,

I?m hoping someone can help me with an old Dell L433c pc the wont boot and the hard drive doesn?t register in bios. It stopped booting when I changed the HD and install a fresh copy of XP. I think the problem started when I partition the drive using FAT32, not sure if it makes a difference. Ever since then, it doesn?t register in any pc.

I install the old HD back in the other pc, but it won?t boot. I then try installing the HD from a third pc, and that doesn?t work either. Now none of the pc?s boot or recognize the hard drive. All of the HD?s were working fine prior to installing them in the Dell L433c.
The Dell was working fine as well until I changed the HD.

The Dell used to makes a loud funny noise whenever it was getting ready to boot, I thought it was the disk, but it wasn?t. The error messages I?m getting are ?No HDD? found, something like that. Before it use to say ?Pri master HDD error? but I don?t see it anymore. When I used a different boot disk I got a message the read ?Insufficient memory for mup.sys.? but only when I used that disk (UBCD).

I did something to this hard drive that?s messing up every system I put it in. I scan the disk to make sure it didn?t have a virus, and it?s clean. So what could be causing all the problems? I downloaded some RAID and IDE drivers, but I can?t be sure if they?re that right ones.

I?ve try just about everything, here?s a list of everything I?ve done;

1?Change the IDE cables and made sure it?s connected and the drive spins
2?Made sure all the settings are correct, including boot sequences (all orders)
3?I?ve set the bios to default setting and all other settings as well
4?I?ve tried loading raid drives and IDE drivers when installing fresh copy of XP
5?I?ve tried to boot with CDROM and floppy.
6?I?ve use different boot disks like The Ultimate boot disk (UBCD) ect..
7?I?ve tried installing windows 98, 2000, ME and XP
8?I?ve tried placing the HD jumpers in different positions I?ve also tried no jumpers
9?I?ve tried using different HD?s and none will boot with this system

I?ve tried just about everything as you can see, but nothing works. Right now I?m more concern about the files that I had on the disk instead of the pc itself. I have a program to retrieve the files if I can get it to boot.

HELP?PLEASE, ANYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance
Menzina

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't boot...HDD not found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't boot...HDD not found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CS,master, slave
by James Denison / December 16, 2007 3:28 PM PST

Make sure you put it on the same IDE cable and have the jumper on the drive set for Master. If that doesn't work, change the flat ribbon cable between the IDE plug on the mobo and the harddrive. You don't say the size of any of those drives, nor what is the maximum size drive your BIOS will support.

Collapse -
CS, Master, Slave
by Menzina / December 17, 2007 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: CS,master, slave

Hi James,
I've already change the IDE cable and have set the jumper to master.
The original size of the disk was 20GB and I put in a 40GB.

The system turns on, I just can't get it to boot. When I try to install a fresh copy of XP, it goes up to the point where it ask 'If you want to install XP press enter, If you want to repair it, press R'

I don't have the original disk the pc came with, and I can't find the drivers I need.

Thank you for replying....

Collapse -
sounds like the problem isn't the disk
by James Denison / December 17, 2007 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: CS, Master, Slave

Try booting with a win98se bootdisk and see if it boots up the drive. If so, then your problem is with installing XP. http://files.frashii.com/~bootdisk/newjersey/boot98se.exe
or find one on bootdisk.com if you don't have one. If it won't boot the drive, then you will need to use the manufacturer's software that came with the drive (again?) and set it up with partition and format, which will go faster than doing it the old fashioned way with FDISK and FORMAT commands from the win98se bootdisk.

Collapse -
Also be sure...
by James Denison / December 17, 2007 2:30 AM PST

...you don't have that CD drive on the same IDE cable and set as Master too. Make sure it's set as Slave.

Collapse -
Not on the same IDE cable
by Menzina / December 17, 2007 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: Also be sure...

The IDE cable that is connected to the HD it only has one connection for the master drive. Nothing else is connected to that cable. I tried booting as master as well as slave, but it didn't work.

I tried booting with W98 and it did not work. I'll try the 98se. Hope it works.

Thanks

Collapse -
DON'T DO anything to that harddrive!
by ahtoi / December 16, 2007 3:30 PM PST

except maybe disconnecting it. You have to get that computer back on the air. One step at a time; use the bootdisk and get that computer working first.

Collapse -
It turns on
by Menzina / December 17, 2007 3:14 AM PST

Thank you for responding Ahtoi

The system turns on and I've use several boot disks, but it doesn't work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.