Question

Can't boot from Windows 7 DVD

So I built this machine myself about three years ago. (look for specs below) When buying parts I was given an intel "skull gear" package by the clerk as a bonus, and upon opening back at home I found a Windows 7 trial disc (this was probably about half or 3/4 of a year before win 7 was dropped) so I threw it in. I quickly loved the OS and for whatever reason, I had installed 32 bit (might have been only 32 bit, can't remember). Fast forward to the release date, I got out and buy the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium since the trial would shut down in a month or two. Upgraded to the full version, still 32 bit since I couldn't be bothered at the time to back up everything and then reformat my drive, and have used it ever since.

Now we're here today. A while back (maybe about a week ago now) I had caught the "Win 7 Total Security" virus but was able to quickly disable it, but of course with any virus my system had become significantly bogged down, where as before it was running almost just as quickly as the day I built the machine. So now that I had a 2TB external drive, I backed up everything to it that I wanted and used this as an excuse to finally bump up to 64 bit. However, I went in to my BIOS and switched the boot order to using my CD/DVD Drive as my primary boot drive, and then discovered that it wasn't recognizing the DVD as something it could boot from. I tried it with the 32 bit disc, nothing. Even with an old Windows XP Pro disc (with the intent on using it repartition, and then upgrade) and I got nothing. I even set it so that there was NO other drive in the boot process except for my CD/DVD drive.

So now I don't know what my problem is, and it'd be extremely appreciated if I could get some help, and I'd be beyond helpful if I got a solution. Thank-you in advanced for any suggestions!

Here are my machines specs

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D
Processor: i5 750
Current O/S: Windows 7 32-Bit (obviously)
4GB Ram (2 Corsair 2GB cards)

And I assume that all other specs are completely irrelevant, but if not I can get you those too.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can't boot from Windows 7 DVD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't boot from Windows 7 DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Since It's Probably A SATA Drive, XP May Not Work Because...

...there are no native SATA drivers.. If by "I got nothing" you mean that the XP disc would boot but couldn't find the hard drive, then that's normal, UNLESS you access the BIOS and disable the "Native SATA Support" or set it to emulate IDE.

When performing any of the installations, be sure to unplug all USB connections, especially the external drive.. Have you done that? The boot drive for installing the operating system should be a standard, internal IDE or SATA DVD/CD drive.. Using an external USB drive to boot and install the operating system generally doesn't get it done.

On occasion, I've had issues with such internal DVD/CD drives and swapping in a different, known good drive fixes the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
CD/DVD is IDE and Hard Drive is SATA

My hard drive that I've got windows 32 Bit installed on, and the one I'm trying to repartition is a SATA drive, however the CD/DVD drive is an IDE. When attempting to boot from any OS DVD it isn't recognized, it's not a matter of recognize the hard drive. When having the only boot drive be the CD/DVD drive it gives me a message along the lines of "No boot medium, please insert a boot medium and press any key to continue" And nothing works. I haven't disconnected ALL USB devices, but I did disconnect my external hard drive.

- Collapse -
You indicated you have had ...

the system since "about three years ago" AND you indicate that none of the bootable CDs or DVDs you have tried booted. This would tend to indicate the problem lies with the drive itself.

Optical drives don't last forever so most likely your best bet would be to try a different optical drive.

If your system offers you an option to boot from USB you might try installing from a USB Flash drive -
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

CNET Forums