Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

can't boot from the Apple Hardware Disc

by crazzzzi / May 30, 2010 3:26 AM PDT

i have a late model 2008 desktop mac 3,1 quad core intel xeon(3GHZ) 6 gigs of memory, i am completey up to date on my OS(10.6.3). i am trying to use the hardware test disc that came with the machine to check things out because the machine is doing alot of flaky little things. Upon trying to boot the disc i continuously get a message to resboot the computer by holding the power button for several seconds or pressing the restart button. there is no restart button, and holding the power button shuts the machine down. upon restart the same message appears. i tried twice more only to have the message appear. Also the keyboard shortcut doea not work, when i use that it just boots normally from my hard drive. Any insight would be appreciated. i am gonna re install Snow Leopard when i am on vacation at the end of June, when i can get whole day free to play with this. just wanted to check that the hardware was ok since the machine is under warranty

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't boot from the Apple Hardware Disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't boot from the Apple Hardware Disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Going to need
by Jimmy Greystone / May 30, 2010 4:18 AM PDT

Going to need some specifics... "Flaky" and "keyboard shortcut" don't quite do it.

Collapse -
more info
by crazzzzi / May 30, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Going to need

i play World of Warcraft and about 50% of the time when i start the app the whole machine hangs, forcing me to shut down with the power button. when i go to put the machine to sleep, about 1/3 of the time the machine hangs, again forcing me to use the power button to shut down. i did a complete reinstall of the game from the disc, zapped the pram, only to have the same bahavior. when i went to try using the disc for inspecting the hardware, i could not get it to start from the cd rom using the keyboard shortcut

Collapse -
(NT) As the man said, What keyboard shortcut?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: more info
Collapse -
keyboard shortcut
by crazzzzi / May 30, 2010 3:09 PM PDT

i held down d when i tried to restart the machine from the Apple Hardware test disc. 3 times i tried and 3 times it booted from my hard drive anyway. i use the system preference to change the start up disc to the cd rom drive and it tried to boot from there, just kept telling me to hit the restart button(there isn't one) or to hold the power button in for several seconds(shut s the machine down)

Collapse -
With the hardware disk in the slot,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: keyboard shortcut

restart the computer and, at the chime, hold down the "C" key until you see the spinning gear.
That should force the start from the CD/DVD

See if that helps at all

P

Collapse -
hardware disc in slot...
by crazzzzi / May 31, 2010 12:34 AM PDT

just tried it twice and it booted from the hard drive Sad

Collapse -
Try it
by Jimmy Greystone / May 31, 2010 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: keyboard shortcut

Try it with your Snow Leopard disc. Same key.

And if you boot into OS X, and you put the disc in the drive, does it show up on the desktop?

Collapse -
Snow Leopard Disc
by crazzzzi / May 31, 2010 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Try it

ok, just booted successfully from Snow Leopard Disc, but i could not use the key shortcut to do it. i had to change the start-up disc in system preferences. Also, there is no hardware test on this disc

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?