PC Hardware forum

General discussion

can't boot from cd or diskette

by repke / July 22, 2004 12:47 PM PDT

I am trying to reinstal xp from an emachines restore cd's. The only thing that I can think of that I haven't tried is flashing the bios. Currently when I boot with the cd in the drive it pauses during startup but continues to windows. I have removed the battery for a few hours, reset the bios to default, changed the boot sequence repeatly. I installed a different cdrom drive after an emachine tech recommending it and also tried formating a different drive to start as boot drive but no luck with anything so far. Has anyone experienced this before? I also tried booting from my own xp pro cd but had the same result. My friends emachine is seriously screwed up and needs a fresh start - your input is appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't boot from cd or diskette
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't boot from cd or diskette
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: can't boot from cd or diskette
by ramusson / July 22, 2004 3:52 PM PDT

Make sure that in yuor BIOS setup, the First Boot Device is NOT the Hard Drive. Most BIOS default settings keep the HDD as the First Boot Drive.

Collapse -
by repke / July 24, 2004 10:16 AM PDT

thanks ramusson

i have reset the bios - that's the strange part. i set them for the normal disk, cdrom, hd along with cd disk hd, and cd cd cd. i've posted this question in other forums but no one seems to have a similar problem.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2004 10:23 AM PDT

Actually the problem is common. If you can't boot diskettes, there are all of three parts, not counting a good diskette and that's the cable, floppy drive and a motherboard. It's that simple.

As to booting a CD, that's three parts excluding the CD. The cable, CDROM and motherboard.

Bob

Collapse -
by arkie72802 / July 28, 2004 10:52 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with XP. All cable is good (replaced) cd works and no problems with motherboard.

Collapse -
How can this be?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2004 11:04 AM PDT

"I am having the same problem with XP. All cable is good (replaced) cd works and no problems with motherboard."

Since the OS hasn't booted, it is not possible the problem is with XP.

You need to tell more.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How can this be?
by arkie72802 / July 28, 2004 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: How can this be?

that is what i am asking. we have replaced cable, tried cdrom in other machines. everything else works on mother board except cdrom at boot

Collapse -
Then one of these parts are broken or misconfigured.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2004 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: How can this be?

The BIOS defaults usually get the IDE ports enabled, but if you can't boot a CD, then the parts that are suspect are...

1. Cable.
2. CD Drive.
3. Motherboard (or its settings.)

It is really that simple.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Then one of these parts are broken or misconfigured.
by arkie72802 / July 29, 2004 9:01 AM PDT

hit case once with big hammer. it now works

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.