General discussion

Can't access XP in order to format hard drive

I am trying to format a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home Edition SP3 on it. I didn't have the original discs but got Dell to send them. Now the problem is that I tried to do a repair install (big mistake) and I can't access Windows because it wants me to register the program. I can't access the internet unless I am logged on to Windows because I have a USB modem. Now, I think I want to do a reformat and I can't get get the computer to boot from the cd drive. I did go and change the boot sequence, but for some reason it will not boot from the cd. I did a test and the cd drive is working and reading cd's.
Can I reformat from the C: prompt?
Can I even access the C: prompt?
If I can reformat from the C: prompt, will it recognize the cd drive?
Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can't access XP in order to format hard drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't access XP in order to format hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: your questions

1. No, you can't reformat from the C:\prompt
2. Only if you can get into Windows or boot from the CD into the recovery console. But see #1.
3. No, that is irrelevant if the PC is set to boot from a bootable CD.

I'd fix the non-booting from CD first. Start with trying this CD on another PC. Then download any bootable CD-image and burn it (as an iso, not as a file) to a CD and try that.

Kees

- Collapse -
RE: Can't access XP in order to format hard drive.

I got it! After restarting close to a million times, it finally worked! (Well, not a million) I don't know what happened differently but it worked.

CNET Forums

Forum Info