Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Can't access XP Desktop folders from networked laptops

by jschall / September 17, 2009 5:17 AM PDT

I am having trouble connecting to my desktop PC (running Windows XP SP2) from other laptop PCs on my local network. I have set up folder sharing on all the XP PCs but I am not able to "see" folders on the desktop PC.

I try to open any folder on my XP SP3 PC from a laptop, and I get:

"\\JEFF-AMD\jeff-amd Documents is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

So, I would appreciate any help you could give me to allow me to access files on the desktop PC from the client laptop.

When I go the other way, I can open directories on the laptops from the desktop PC no problem. So I don't think it's a router/firewall problem.

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint-Hilaire, Qu

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access XP Desktop folders from networked laptops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access XP Desktop folders from networked laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's check the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 8:30 AM PDT

1. You log on as Jeff on the other machine.
2. You also can log on as Jeff on the machine sharing the folder.

I do so an issue that I always avoid. I never allow such an user name. Take the dash out.
Bob

Collapse -
Not user name
by jschall / September 17, 2009 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's check the usual.

@R. Proffitt:
JEFF-AMD is the name of the desktop PC, and jeff-amd Documents is the name of the share. My user name is jeff on both machines. Thanks for your reply. I'm still looking for a solution to allow access to my Desktop PC from my network...

- Jeff

Collapse -
Then the next usual is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Not user name

Firewalls. I've lost count of how many times it's this. Many don't understand that Norton and others continue to work in spite of us setting them to disabled. Some don't have control of the firewall in the router.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.