Computer Help forum

General discussion

can't access windows

by ericrb / April 27, 2006 6:05 AM PDT

I have a 5 year old off brand computer with 364mb memory,9gig hd and pentium 3 cpuand XP os. When I boot up the sequnce goes to "looking for boot info on cd-rom." the light on the cd-rom carrier comes on but when I click on enter I get a window that says"file in config system is corrupt or missing". Can I get into DOS to clean the hard drive and start all over? Need help.
RIPPLEFAR

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't access windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't access windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What if you don't press enter??
by Gakada / April 27, 2006 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: can't access windows

just wait the pc booting...

Most likely it cause by your pc is configure to start from CD.. (it is needed if you want to install/boot from a cd)

to start over the installation, just insert the windows CD and follow the instruction.. BUT then if you don't want to see the message again, you need to change your bios setup.

Collapse -
what if you don't press ENTER
by ericrb / April 27, 2006 7:10 AM PDT

If I don't press ENTER when booting from cd the computer boots up to that point again or "a config file is missing or corrupt" message.

ripplefar

Collapse -
Ripple, Please Give Us The EXACT Error Message
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2006 4:16 AM PDT

In addition, although you mentioned, that you had Windows XP, which service pack do you have installed? Are you at XP SP2?

First, have you tried System Restore? If not, please do.

Do you have the Windows XP CD?

Please check the link below for a fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

Next, please try installing all the most recent drivers for your hardware, especially

Is the message you received indicated below, or is it different somehow?
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM
run SETUP and select "r" to repair..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
config error
by ericrb / May 1, 2006 10:53 AM PDT

The message you have indicated is the exact same one on my screen.

Collapse -
And Did You?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 2, 2006 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: config error

...try the procedures listed in the Microsoft link I provided?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tell us a little about...
by Edward ODaniel / April 30, 2006 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: can't access windows

that CD you are attempting to boot from.

That is not a normal sounding error unless it is a "home brewed" bootable CD of some type.

You mention that you have XP but from reading the post it would appear that while you may have it you don't appear to have it installed?

We can't operate in the dark--try shedding some light by telling the WHOLE STORY (such as why you are booting from a CD is you have XP installed as you state and what that CD is--an XP installation CD WILL NOT give an error message even remotely like what you indicated).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.