General discussion

Can't access wewb links from Excel or Word

For some time now, if I try to follow a hyperlink in Excel or Word (2007), I get a message that says that it is forbidden on my computer and that I should contact the Syatem Administrator. I have no system administrator, as this is a home computer.

A Google search reveals that this is not a rare problem, and usually caused by uninstallng Google Chorome. I neer installed Google Chrome!

Several suggestions included setting IE as the default browser. That didn't help.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Vince

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can't access wewb links from Excel or Word
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't access wewb links from Excel or Word
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
From memory

Some antivirus suites now block this because of exploits that rely on such links.

It has nothing to do with your account or system administrator. And let's clear off a misconception here. ALL versions of Windows must have a system administrator account. There is a fine example of stripping it out for a real locked down Windows but those that did that would know. So to write there is no system administrator you must be referring to a person and not the OS system administrator account.

Tell a bit more about your choice of security.
Bob

- Collapse -
Can't access hyperlinks

Bob,

Thanks for the reply, and I apologize for the atrocious typing in my previous message.

My security suite consists of Microsoft Security Essentials plus the upgraded version of Malwarebytes. (Computer is three-year-old HP Pavilion, 6GB RAM, running Win 7 Pro.

Ater reading several online comments on this problem, I tried downloading and running Google Chrome (as default browser) and it worked. I was able to access hyperlinks from Excel and Word again.

I subsequently turned off Chrome, made sure (via Task Manager) that it wasn't running, and reset IE9 to be my default browser. I can still access the hyperlinks.

Bizarre, because I don't think I ever ran Chrome, especially within the last month when all this trouble started.

There's probably no harm leaving Chrome resident but inactive, but it is very irksome that a program can cause all this trouble. Someone suggested that Google be spanked. I agree.

Is it worth attempting to get rid of all Chrome fragments by way of Regedit?

Thanks again for your reply.

Vince

- Collapse -
That helps.

If everything works, I would not be going into the registry.

-> "I subsequently turned off Chrome, made sure (via Task Manager) that it wasn't running, and reset IE9 to be my default browser. I can still access the hyperlinks."

I see it's fixed and I do have an idea what may have happened, but what is this "turned off Chrome"? I have Chrome installed and have no place that has a "turn off Chrome" button or control. Maybe it's the terminology but I'd like to read what this is.

-> Here's my idea. The FILE ASSOCIATION for .HTM and .HTML was probably messed up. It's a common Windows annoyance and there are other ways to fix it but I won't go into that since you did fix it.
Bob

- Collapse -
"Turned off" Chrome

Bob,

Yeah, bad use of words, which I only used because another thread used that phrase. However, that same thread cautioned that even if Chrome was not visible, it still may have been running (two browsers running at the same time, say). Sometimes I need to have MSN and Optonline running simultaneously, so if MSN is running and I turn on Optonline, after a while I may not realize that both are present. Therefore, the check with Task Manager.

I did not think of looking at file associations. Maybe if this happens again I'll remember your suggestion.

(Maybe we can call the "X" the turnoff button?)

Thanks for a good discussion.

Best regards,

Vince

CNET Forums