Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't access shared printer on XP os machine

by decastle / October 8, 2004 9:10 PM PDT

I have a HP PhotoSmart 1000 printer shared on a Desktop, OS Win XP Prof. sp2, computer that I can not access from my Laptop, OS Win NT sp6, with a wireless adaptor over my wireless network

1. The printer is shared
2. I can connect to the shared drives of the Laptop from the Desktop
3. I can ping the Desktop from the Laptop and visa versa
4. The Desktop is hardwired to the wireless router
5. My DSL modem is hard wired to the wireless router
6. I have internet access on both machines with no problems
7. I do not use a password to log on to Win XP
8. Compatible Printer drivers are installed on both machines
9. I can see the Desktop on the network from my Laptop, I just can?t access any resources on the desktop from the laptop
10. When I try to setup a network printer on my Laptop I can see the Desktop and the shared printer by name but can not make the connection
11. Every once in a while I will get a popup box on the Laptop asking for a user name and password when I try to view resources on the Desktop ? I have tried Guest and my main account name but with no luck. The fact that I do not need a password to log onto the Desktop running Win XP may have something to do with the problem.
I wonder what the solution could be.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access shared printer on XP os machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access shared printer on XP os machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't access shared printer on XP os machine
by glb613 / October 8, 2004 10:04 PM PDT

Do you have the computer connected to the printer on when trying to use it? Are you using a firewall?

Collapse -
by decastle / October 9, 2004 1:31 AM PDT

Yes the printer is connected to the Desktop and I am using the Win XP firewall but I have allowed printer and file sharing

Collapse -
by David Chan / October 8, 2004 10:09 PM PDT

"Every once in a while I will get a popup box on the Laptop asking for a user name and password when I try to view resources on the Desktop"

Solution:
You need to create a password for your user on the XP Desktop and use this to logon when prompted.

If you do not wish to use this method then activate the hidden Administrator account and create a password for it.
Then when prompted logon as "administrator" with the password and you'll gain access to the XP DEsktop.

Note: To access the Hidden Administrator account for XP HE you have to boot into Safe Mode (F8 key on startup).

For XP Pro use Ctrl+Alt+Delete (twice) after you log-off from your user account.

Collapse -
by decastle / October 9, 2004 1:54 AM PDT

The os is Win XP pro, not he, but anyways seting up the admin acct with a password and setting up a guest acct with a password didn't help the problem.
Any other ideas. The NT laptop still won't let me connect to the XP Desktop. I don't think it likes my password since it doesn't give an error message just reverts back to the user name-password screen when I type in Administrator as user and my password.

Any other ideas?

Collapse -
It's this simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2004 2:07 AM PDT

XP and NT enforce accounts. The fact your XP machine starts without a name/password just means you are autologging on. It doesn't mean you don't have a name and password. Before I continue on topic, let me share that such autologons can be dangerous for some users since a day comes when XP inexplicably asks for the username/password and since they've been autologging in, they don't know it. Sadly, I've found people wipe the machine and start over....

OK, more on topic. You need to create an account for the NT box to use. The NT box also logs in. Even if it's an autologon, it still has a name and password its using to do this. Use that name and password for the new XP account.

In closing, NT 4.0 support is dead. Gone. No more and you may find that such a connection is not supported. In spite of this let's see if XP does the clear password logon and see if you can enable the guest account which you can share things without a password or account. I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU NEVER USE THE GUEST ACCOUNT. IT'S A SECURITY RISK!

1. Clear text password in XP. Read http://www.facetcorp.com/tnotes/facetwin/tn_fw_encrypted_xp.html#addkey

2. Enable the XP Guest account. Read http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/martinez1.mspx

Best of luck and remember to reapply SP6a to the NT 4 box since it's not "sticky", just "sickly".

Bob

Collapse -
Re: It's this simple.
by decastle / October 10, 2004 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: It's this simple.

I tried that but NT will still not accept my user ID and or password - is the format for the user box \\"name of computer"\"user name" then type the password in the password box or is there some other format for user name and or password combination?

Collapse -
Re: It's this simple.
by David Chan / October 11, 2004 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: It's this simple.

Since both NT & XP computers have an Administrator account why don't you make sure both are using the same password.

Then logon both PCs with the Administrator user accounts and then try and access each PCs over the Network again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.