Do you have the computer connected to the printer on when trying to use it? Are you using a firewall?
I have a HP PhotoSmart 1000 printer shared on a Desktop, OS Win XP Prof. sp2, computer that I can not access from my Laptop, OS Win NT sp6, with a wireless adaptor over my wireless network
1. The printer is shared
2. I can connect to the shared drives of the Laptop from the Desktop
3. I can ping the Desktop from the Laptop and visa versa
4. The Desktop is hardwired to the wireless router
5. My DSL modem is hard wired to the wireless router
6. I have internet access on both machines with no problems
7. I do not use a password to log on to Win XP
8. Compatible Printer drivers are installed on both machines
9. I can see the Desktop on the network from my Laptop, I just can?t access any resources on the desktop from the laptop
10. When I try to setup a network printer on my Laptop I can see the Desktop and the shared printer by name but can not make the connection
11. Every once in a while I will get a popup box on the Laptop asking for a user name and password when I try to view resources on the Desktop ? I have tried Guest and my main account name but with no luck. The fact that I do not need a password to log onto the Desktop running Win XP may have something to do with the problem.
I wonder what the solution could be.