Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't access shared folder on network

by fav_cantona / July 21, 2009 4:45 PM PDT

Dear all,

I can?t access the shared folder on my workgroup network after I run maintenance software such as esan, PcOnTop and TuneUp2009. I use windowsXP service pack 3 on my computers. I login with administrator account and when I tried to access the shared folder on network, system said ?You don?t have enough permission to access this shared and please contact network administrator??and Not enough server storage is available to process this command?. I already checked folders are given full permission to everyone and firewall ?Turn Off?.
Any help I appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access shared folder on network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access shared folder on network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any help here??
by Steven Haninger / July 21, 2009 7:18 PM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078

with the network share anyway. As for the "permissions" issue, you'll need to determine if the problem is with the share or with your recently "tweaked" PC. Can you access this share via another PC (if you have one)? I'd also try logging into the PC using the Administrator account...not just an administrator account. When accessing the share, you might then be greeted with a username/password box to validate yourself. You'd need to enter a proper username/password that's defined on the device where the share resides. One step at a time....see if that works.
It's also advised to be wary of these 3rd party tools. They often mess up more than they fix.
Collapse -
Thanks for advice!
by fav_cantona / July 22, 2009 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Any help here??

Hi Steven,
Thanks a lot for your advice.I'll follow your advice. When I tried to access shared folders from "Safe mode with networking" it can access. All computers are already checked "Remember me" option when login from network. Is that part of problem? 4 computers have no problem because I didn't run these third party softwares on them. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Collapse -
I don't know of any "remember me" network
by Steven Haninger / July 23, 2009 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for advice!

option with XP. It's simply by recognizing a network user that's already defined as a user on that PC. If the proper services for this are running, it's automatic. I don't know why but I've found that using "the" administrator account is often more successful and a good aid in troubleshooting some network problems. You can generally use it if not logged on as a user defined on both PCs as it will bring up a box asking for a username/password on the other. I don't know why this account acts differently but it will help in determining if such as firewalls are the problem or not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.