Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Can't access printer on home network

by MikeKlaiber / March 4, 2005 1:13 AM PST

I have a desktop and laptop connected on a wireless network. The desktop is running XP Pro and the laptop XP Home.

I am the system administrator on both machines with family members having (limited) user accounts.

A printer is connected to the desktop with all users having printing access.

From the laptop I was able to use the Add Printer Wizard to connect to, and network access, the printer connected to the desktop. For some unaccountable reason, that access has now disappeared. Clicking on properties from the Administrator (laptop) acccount I get the message that I do not have access and only the security tab will be displayed. Trying the Add Printer Wizard again, I'm able to navigate as far as "Desktop" but double clicking on that doesn't bring up the printer. I get the same thing when trying to add the printer through the other limited user accounts. Neither can I connect by manually entering the desktop destination of the printer.

Previously when the printer was working from the laptop Administrator's account, and going into Printer Properties clicking "Share this Printer" the sharing symbol would not display with the printer icon. I clicked off sharing and re-booted and repeated the sharing process but to no avail.

Previously when I could get access on the laptop Administrator's account, this still wouldn't work on the other User accounts.

I suspect this may have something to do with the settings in Printer Properties under the sharing and / or security tab accessed from the Desktop, but I can't find the answer. From here I've given permissions to "Everyone" but that makes no difference.

I'm really quite lost on how to get around this problem. Can anyone suggest any solutions, please ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access printer on home network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access printer on home network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more details..
by enable123 / March 4, 2005 7:36 AM PST

Do you have any software firewalls installed on the computer? If so, make sure you give the laptop the rights to be in the same workgroup/network.
You may want to start from the desktop and make sure file and printer sharing is enabled. You can do this by reestablishing your workgroup again through the "set up a home or small office network" link in the My Network Places window. Go through the wizard completely and do the same on the laptop.
You may also try to locate the printer by searching for your desktop on your network.
From your laptop, Click search on the start menu.
In search window, click computers or people.
Click a computer on the network.
Type the name of your desktop.
Click search.
Your desktop computer name can be found by right-clicking your My Computer icon then properties.
Click on Computer Name tab. Make sure your workgroup name is the same on both computers.

It may be helpful to start your network from scratch so you might see the network from a different perspective.

Collapse -
Have a look in Windows Firewall....
by Michael Geist / March 4, 2005 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: more details..

on the Exceptions tab, see if file and print sharing is checked off.

Collapse -
Thanks
by MikeKlaiber / March 4, 2005 10:10 PM PST

Enable & Michael. I'll check both these suggestions out.

Regards

Collapse -
Can't access printer on home network (easily solved)
by ragtoy / August 8, 2010 4:15 AM PDT

all these techs taking you nowhere. you haven't changed any settings to get this problem so why start plugging away at settings now. So very simple your not going to believe it. goto my network places via my computor or how ever you do it. depending on how you pc is set up. Now I'm taking about the laptop with the printer connectivity issue on the network, not the pc with the printers physically conected to it, as I'm almost sure those printers are working fine.
Go to your laptop and click on my network places
Click on view work group computors. Now sign-on or click on the icon showing home pc with the printers physically attached. you should be prompted to sign-on and password just as you would like if you were in front of it, but now your signing on via your network. Once you're in you should be able to see all your network shares via your laptop through the network including all printers. select one of these printers and right click it for a test page you should know how to do this. your going to get a permission notice "your about to connect to a printer "printer name" which will automatically install aprint driver on your machine.... may contain viruses or scripts harmful blah, blah, it is important to be certain that the computor sharing this printer is trustworthy, would you like to contine? Select yes Voila! do this for all net work printers.......... very easy you just needed to sign-on to that pc by way of the network.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.