Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Can't access Outlook 2000 address book.

by edengaret / March 2, 2009 11:50 PM PST

I am running windows XP and have been using Outlook 2000 for a few years.
Within the last few days, something happened to Outlook:
[1] I can't see the sender although the subject line is still there.
[2] When I open the email, there is the header info but the e-mail text body contains many pages of random numbers and letters in the email.
[3] If there is an attachment such as photos or a PDF file, it will not appear as an attachment.
[4] I am not able to modify any addresses in my address book. I get a message "An error occurred while attempting to open the windows address book."
[5] I repaired my .pst files using scanpst.exe and then made a backup copy to an external drive.
[6] I re-launched Outlook but the same problems exist.
[7] Currently, I am trying to run 'Address Book Recovery' but I am unable to determine the source Windows address book file (this may be the problem). I'm not sure where to look for this file too.

Can anyone help? Thank you!

Ed

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access Outlook 2000 address book.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access Outlook 2000 address book.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Outlook problem
by Kees Bakker / March 3, 2009 7:12 AM PST

The recovery program you mentioned seems to be for Windows Address Book (a .wab file in your profile), used by Outlook Express, not by Outlook. So it's not the right tool to use.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197748 tells where to find the Outlook 2000 address book. It's a .pab file, probably somewhere in your profile. Didn't you make a backup of it?

Look Windows Explorer to find for *.pab and/or *.wab and you should find them. But they might be in a hidden folder. If not found try again with the folder options set to show hidden files and folders.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Outlook 2000 problem
by edengaret / March 4, 2009 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Outlook problem

Heelo Kees,

Thank you for your input. However, a search for .pab and .wab did not find anything. Hmmm...

Ed

Collapse -
Don't fprget the *
by Kees Bakker / March 4, 2009 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Outlook 2000 problem

It's *.pab and *.wab (* meaning all). Practice with *.dat (if you've got MS Word).
And your profile is Documents and Settings>yourusername. It's sure there are .dat files in it (several index.dat files, to be exact).

Kees

Collapse -
Outlook 2000 problem
by edengaret / March 4, 2009 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: Don't fprget the *

Hello Kees,

Searched for both (i.e., *.pab and *.wab) and still nothing. *.dat found a lot of files.

Ed

Collapse -
Sorry to read.
by Kees Bakker / March 5, 2009 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook 2000 problem

The MSKB article is quite clear about it. If it isn't there it certainly explains the error message about "can't open the file". Still, one should expect that it would be created if not present.

Of course, Outlook 2000 is a pre-XP product. So it could be anywhere in the system. Windows 98 and ME didn't have a Documents and Settings. Try the Windows account. Even better: try c:\ and all subfolders (that's the whole disk).

Try a trick. Create a new Windows account. Start Outlook there. Create an address. Close Outlook. Search for the file (all over the system again).
Then copy that file to or over the equivalent place for the regular user (after making a copy of the current file, of course). See if that address is accessible now.

Kees

Collapse -
Outlook 200 problem
by edengaret / March 9, 2009 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry to read.

Hello Kees,

I performed a system restore and everything is fine now. All my outlook e-mails and contacts were maintained too.

Thank you for you input. I appreciate it.

Bye for now and regards,

Ed Arsenault

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?