Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Can't access options in tools menu in IE-6.02

by stevewall / November 3, 2003 12:42 AM PST

I get the following "Restrictions" dialogue box when I go tothe Tools pull down menu and click on "options" and there for can't configure and control Internet Explorer. I own my computer at home! I used to be able to acess this in the past. What took over this option. What can I do to control IE 6.02 again?

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on theis computer. Please contact yur system administrator."

Thanks in advance for helping me out of this delemia!
Steve in rainy Chitown

I have a Pentium 4 with 256 RAM, 40MB HD and XP OS. IT is hooked up to an old HP LaserJet 4MP laser printer, an Epson Photo Styuls color printer and an Epson 2400 Perfection scanner.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access options in tools menu in IE-6.02
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access options in tools menu in IE-6.02
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't access options in tools menu in IE-6.02
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2003 8:27 PM PST
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tmcd2/Desktop.htm notes this registry key:

"Key : HKCU \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \Explorer
Entry : NoOptions
System : 95, 95+IE4.x, 98, ME, NT, 2K
Type : REG_DWORD
Range : 0 or 1
Default : 0
1 : Disables the option Options in the Explorer Display menu."

This key is set by some tools which you would have to share you are running such as Spybot or other. Some PARASITES drop such registry entries to make it difficult to remove the MALWARE. Here's a link to the FIVE SCANS that find and optionally remove the PESTS:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

Bob
Collapse -
Re:Re:Can't access options in tools menu in IE-6.02
by nassok / November 6, 2003 10:14 AM PST

Greetings,
I think we are missing something here. I noticed that I was experiencing the same problem as Steve. In IE I am getting a Restrictions message that says "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer..." I followed Bobs links, and attempted to edit the registry as instructed, but my registry has no "Entry: NoOptions". I looked closer at your suggested solution, Bob, and you refer to Explorer, and not Internet Explorer. Also, the System that this registry edit refers to does not specify XP. I browsed through my registry, but could not find anything in IE that deals with Options. I'm running Win XP Pro, and IE 6.028
Thanks, and have a great day,
Jack

Collapse -
Perhaps!
by Cursorcowboy / November 6, 2003 10:32 PM PST
Can't access IE settings on the system because you're told to contact your administrator?

This can happen if you use Spybot-S&D in advanced mode and you have used the Immunize feature without reading all the text.

Please start Spybot-S&D again in advanced mode (usually from the Start menu group Spybot - Search &D Destroy, until you've already changed the desktop icon to advanced mode), and go to the Immunize page.

There you'll see a group Recommended miscellaneous options. Untick the checkboxes in front of both Lock IE... options. You may need to close all Explorer windows, and maybe even restart Windows before these changes take place.

Hint: This lock function has been added mostly for multi-user environments where you wouldn't want other users of your computer to change your IE settings. If you are the only user of your computer, there's no real need to enable them.
Collapse -
Re:Perhaps!
by nassok / November 7, 2003 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps!

That is exactly what I did. I followed your instructions, and everything is fine now. This is a good example of why you should not only read what you are asking for, but understand it as well. duh!!
Thanks for the help, Cursorcowboy, it is appreciated.
Jack

Collapse -
NT - Welcome and happy computing.
by Cursorcowboy / November 7, 2003 8:40 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Perhaps!

Collapse -
by nhow / March 30, 2004 11:33 PM PST

This is my problem too. I have been wracking my brain to figure out what's going on. Almost reinstalled IE 6 but really glad I found this helpful post first.

Many thanks!!!

NHow

Collapse -
by nhow / March 31, 2004 10:32 PM PST

I tried this out last night and it didn't work. When I went to the immunize page in Spybot S&D (in advanced mode), I could not find the IE settings you mentioned. I did find something in their help menu about browser hijacking and was able to restore my home page to the one I had chosen (rather than MSN) but I am still unable to access my own IE settings and get the message that I need to contact my system administrator. I AM the system administrator. This is my own home computer (Win XP home edition).

Do you have any other suggestions? I would rather not have to uninstall and reinstall IE (and what would prevent this from happening again even if I did?)

Many thanks,

Nancy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Perhaps!
by Tufenuf / April 1, 2004 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Perhaps!

Nancy wrote: "When I went to the immunize page in Spybot S&D (in advanced mode), I could not find the IE settings you mentioned."

It's there Nancy, you may have to use the scrollbar on the right of that Spybot window to see the 3 options.

HTH,
Larry

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Perhaps!
by nhow / April 1, 2004 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Perhaps!

Larry,

Didn't look on the right side...just at the menus on the left! I'll check this out as soon as I get home.

Many thanks!!!!

Nancy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Perhaps!
by Tufenuf / April 1, 2004 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Perhaps!

Nancy, After you get to the Immunize window just maximize it and use the scroll bar on the right. Let us know how you make out.

Larry

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Perhaps!
by nhow / April 1, 2004 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Perhaps!

That was it!!!! Worked like a charm!!

Many, many thanks and may the computer gods always smile upon you.

Cheers,
Nancy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Perhaps!
by Tufenuf / April 1, 2004 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Perhaps!

Nancy, Glad it's fixed and Glad to help. Thanks for posting back.

Larry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.