Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't Access My Old, Stored Cookies

I think it has something to do with my user settings, but suddenly I cannot get IE 6.0 to access all of my previously stored cookies. IE 6.0 has started using a different folder and started storing new cookies.

I found the old ones, but I don't know how to tell IE how to access them again. In both the new and old folders, there is a file called, "INDEX.DAT". It doesn't work to set the folder they're in as the new Temporary Internet Files directory. I'm not able to copy and paste the old cookies into the new Temporary Internet Files folder. I tried copying the ''INDEX.DAT'' file from the folder containing all my old cookies and settings, but I don't know to where I should copy the "INDEX.DAT" file so that IE will once again be able to access ALL of the cookies I've previously stored.

I have also tried the Import/Export Wizard in IE, but I can't figure out how to export the old cookies into a file that can be imported again.

The directory of the new Temporary Internet Files (TIF) directory is <C:\Documents and Settings\(my name)\Cookies\Temporary Internet Files>. (However, I must note that this is a new TIF directory that was created when I was trying to make the directory where my cookies are now, the new TIF directory.) The folder that used to be the TIF directory, I think, was C:\Documents and Settings\(my name)\Temporary Internet Files, which also contains the Content.IE5 folder.

There must be a simple solution to load settings and cookies from another directory, shouldn't there be? I hope this info will help with a solution. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Access My Old, Stored Cookies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Access My Old, Stored Cookies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Roving" fingers'

In reply to: Can't Access My Old, Stored Cookies

Before I even start to summarize your question and answer, IMO, why not remove all cookies, either through the browser options or the MS-DOS prompt, and continue with those subsequently filed for use? Oh well. Who am I to question the ramifications of a question ,-)

1. I think it has something to do with my user settings, but suddenly I cannot get IE 6.0 to access all of my previously stored cookies.

First, I don't understand the "previously stored cookies" question! I'm sure that the existing Cookies work as expected because Windows takes care of that. There is but one folder which Windows is authorized to directly access Cookies from, the old original IE default being C:\Windows\Cookies - unless changed by a user or as you found and is stated in #2 below == the same process applies however if using another OS -- which you haven't stated.

2. IE 6.0 has started using a different folder and started storing new cookies. The directory of the new Temporary Internet Files (TIF) directory is <C:\Documents and Settings\(my name)\Cookies\Temporary Internet Files>. (However, I must note that this is a new TIF directory that was created when I was trying to make the directory where my cookies are now, the new TIF directory.)

Nothing wrong with that since a user has the ability from the Tools menu and the browser options to move a TIF anywhere wanted. There is no such option for moving the Cookies folder however but which can be done if a user knows how.

3. There must be a simple solution to load settings and cookies from another directory, shouldn't there be?

Answered above. NO.

4. I found the old ones, but I don't know how to tell IE how to access them again. In both the new and old folders, there is a file called, "INDEX.DAT". It doesn't work to set the folder they're in as the new Temporary Internet Files directory. I'm not able to copy and paste the old cookies into the new Temporary Internet Files folder. I tried copying the ''INDEX.DAT'' file from the folder containing all my old cookies and settings, but I don't know to where I should copy the "INDEX.DAT" file so that IE will once again be able to access ALL of the cookies I've previously stored.

a. Herein lies your mistake -- Windows maintains one Cookies folder and one TIF folder. Even though you state "I found the old ones," I believe you found the only existing folder for Cookies with the Cookies -- but I could be wrong. I believe that you are assuming that the TIF file listing containing cookie are the system Cookies. They are not.

b. First, let me introduce to a prior posted thread "'Flirting with disaster in my opinion, but. . . " which you should become thoroughly familiar with and concerns the idiosyncrasies of the Windows TIF folder and the cookie information that reside there. Doesn't matter what OS is used since the working procedure hasn't changed -- only the locations.

c. Second, if my assumption is correct, the only thing you need to do is to reset things back to the default by accessing the browser options through the Tools menu and put the TIF folder back to where it belongs -- use the location in your #2 above without the subfolder Cookies.

Collapse -
Cookies, old and new. WAG

In reply to: Can't Access My Old, Stored Cookies

If you are using two different accounts, then you have two different TIF folders, one for each account. Is this what you mean by "old" and "new" ? You like cookies ? You are unique !

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!