Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't Access My Computer

by Jradamsinc / January 4, 2005 10:11 PM PST

I was in email the other night and the power went off unexpectedly for an hour or so. When it came back on, the computer allows me to get to the sign on screen, normally and in safe mode, but when I type my password, it locks up and freezes the mouse. I've tried booting with my XP disk but it is not reading it and when the scan disk comes up it says everything is ok. I saw the cable installer do something that got him into the guest desktop without me signing on for him. Does anyone know how to do this and bypass the sign on screen? Otherwise how else can I get into the system to run the XP repair without signing on. Any help appreciatted.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Access My Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Access My Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't Access My Computer
by Cetin Denislam / January 4, 2005 11:58 PM PST

Restart PC and before windows splash screen, press repeatdly F8 and select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" option. After that, try the following procedure:

Q304449 -" HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP"

If you're still unable to logon, restart again, press F8 and use "Last Known Good Configuration option".

Otherwise, it could be a long procedure such as: How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install. Before trying it, make sure that carefully read all the article, including the warnings.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Can't Access
by Jradamsinc / January 5, 2005 11:41 PM PST

I reset DOS Boot prompts to read my CD first and it still will not respond as I'm trying to load off my XP disk. It's wierd. It gets to log on screen just fine, I can move my mouse around, all is ok until I type in my password. I know there is a way to get past the log in screen but I don't know what it is. This is driving me nuts. Still can't gain access to my computer.

Collapse -
Re: Can't Access
by Cetin Denislam / January 6, 2005 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: Can't Access

OK, here are some more possible solutions.

1. If, by chance, you're using multiple input languages, you can use the Alt Shift combo as a toogle between English and the another language. After that, type your password.

2. In the previous message I provided an article for in-place repair. There is another method that's based to using Restore Points (in the case that your Restore Points was enabled and has some pevious ones).

The method implies that you have windows XP CD and you're able to access Recovery Console. It's a somehow long procedure, but it works.

Here's the MSKB article:

Q307545 - "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from Starting"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
In Thru The Home Door WAB Save
by Jradamsinc / January 15, 2005 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Can't Access

Well nothing worked. When the power dropped in our neighborhood exactly at the time of clicking OK after inputting password, there was no getting in as something in that part of the registry got corrupted. It wouldn't recognize my XP disk even after going into set up and reconfiguring boot from CD. So I installed a neighbors XP Home (Which I hate after using Pro) and I was able to get in and back up all my files. I am going to have the whole system wipped clean and do a new install from scratch. One question though. I found my Outlook express address book and messages and was able to import to a fresh OE for the time being. I made a copy of the WAB but when I tested it on another computer, the error says it's locked and being used by another application so I can't import from my burned CD. Does anyone have any tricks I'm missing on exporting and saving my WAB so when I do a new clean install I can bring it all back?
Sorry for the length and thank you for your time in advance.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!