Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't access help to remove malware/spyware

by vollynn / September 11, 2010 2:03 AM PDT

I've got Windows XP. Last week my Internet Explorer 7 started switching my active windows to passive for no reason every once in a while. Now it does it every two seconds, and I realized I have some kind of malware or spyware, in spite of having AVG antivirus and McAfee installed and running. Unfortunately, every time I have tried to download antispyware or antimalware software from CNET or Microsoft or even PCtools, my explorer refuses to display the page. I know what the issue is but I have no way of accessing help from the most obvious methods. HELP! I don't want to have to take my laptop to a repair shop for hundreds of dollars. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access help to remove malware/spyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access help to remove malware/spyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have another computer you can use?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 11, 2010 6:11 AM PDT

If so, use that to download the setup files for both Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

You will also need the malware definitions.

For MBAM download the update file from http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

For SAS you can get the definitions from http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

Download and save those files on the spare computer to some convenient location, (eg the Desktop), then rename the MBAM installer, "mbam-setup.exe", to some other name, eg "Gogetum.exe" or whatever you choose. Copy all of those files onto a CD or memory stick or similar.

Take that to the infected computer and copy the files to the Desktop of that computer. Run Gogetum.exe, the MBAM installer, and when MBAM is isntalled, then run the definitions updater mbam-rules.exe.

When done, run a full scan with MBAM. If it doesn't run, you may need to find the main application file mbam.exe where you installed it to, and change the name of that as well. Anything will do as long as it has .exe at the end. Run that file and perform a full scan.

When MBAM has completed it's full scan, install SAS and then run the definitions updater. You may need to do the name changes for SAS as well. Run a full scan with SAS.

If neither of those run, reboot the computer into Safe Mode and run MBAM and SAS from there, one at a time.

My post below deals with if you do not have a relatives or friends computer to use.

Mark

Collapse -
If you do not have access to another computer.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 11, 2010 6:20 AM PDT

I've just noted you mentioned both AVG and McAfee.

If they are both anti-virus scanners, or both firewalls, or all of those, then this could be the cause of your windows losing focus or freezing. The general rule is, only one anti-virus and only one firewall.

If I misunderstood you, then read on.

No other computer you can use. Your own IE7 will not let you visit security download sites. My first answer would be to Reset IE back to default, and remove all the add-ons, toolbars, BHO's and ActiveX that may be preventing this. In the process you may lose all your Favorites, history, cookies and web site login saves, but hopefully IE will then work again as expected.

To do that, goto the Control Panel and open "Internet Options". Goto the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.

When done, update your current anti-virus scanner and run a full scan with it.

If the scanner fails, reboot the computer into Safe Mode and run the scanner from there.

See if any of that helps.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!