Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't access floppy drive after XP upgrade

by psesh / July 8, 2004 11:22 PM PDT

I have upgraded my Compaq Presario laptop to Windows XP from Windows ME. Windows XP works fine, but when I try to access my floppy drive I get one of the following error messages: "'A' drive is not accessible" or "Insert a Floppy Disc" (when there already is a disc inserted) or "The disc needs formatting" (but I run disc format and it does not run).

I've run Device Manager. It recognizes my floppy drive and states that it is working satisfactory.

Does anyone know of a solution to fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access floppy drive after XP upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access floppy drive after XP upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't access floppy drive after XP upgrade
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2004 11:29 PM PDT

1. Did you see if a BIOS update is available?

2. Does a DOS diskette still boot from the drive?

Collapse -
Re: Can't access floppy drive after XP upgrade
by Cursorcowboy / July 8, 2004 11:31 PM PDT

1. The article [Q812489] explains that when you notice the floppy drive either does not appear in the My Computer folder or that it is listed as the number 37 or 39 in the Device Manager, it is usually caused by corrupt or incorrect registry keys (Upperfilters/Lowerfilters) which must be corrected. If this system was upgraded to WinXP, read the article [Q817196] which discusses installed third-party software.

2. When using or attempting to use the floppy drive, the article [Q811839] discusses and explains how to fix the problem where you receive the below error message -- perhaps one similar -- caused by the dynamically change of the computer processor power state to a deeper idle state:

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

3. Further reading is, "HOW TO: Add Components and Programs to a Computer in Windows XP (Q305548)."

Collapse -
Cannot access Floppy Drive in windows XP ...
by Cetin Denislam / July 9, 2004 3:59 AM PDT

Try the following steps one by one (in this order). Test the floppy drive acess using a good diskette after performing each step.

1. If SmartDisk FlashPath Monitor from Synchronized Technologies is installed, uninstall it.

Q817196 -"Floppy Disk Drive Does Not Appear in the My Computer Folder"

2. Check in the registry for UpperFilters and LowerFilters. If exists, right click each one, select Delete. For details, read:

Q812489 - "The Floppy Disk Drive Is Missing From the My Computer Folder"

3. Click Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter. Expand the following path:

In the right pane, look for ImagePath and check if its value is system32\drivers\flpydisk.sys.

If it is different, right click, select Modify and type system32\drivers\flpydisk.sys

4. From regedit, expand the following path:

In the right pane, look for ImagePath and check if its value is system32\drivers\fdc.sys.

If it is different, right click, select Modify and type system32\drivers\fdc.sys

5. Boot in Safe Mode. Goto Device Manager. Right click Standard Floppy Disk Controller. Click Action, select "Scan for Hardware changes". This will redetdect and reinstall both the controller and Floppy disk Drive.

6. Insert a good bootable diskette (at least windows 98 is preferable). Make sure that in BIOS the first bootable device is floppy diskette. Restart PC and see if it boots from diskette.

7. Take the problem diskette and see if it reads on another PC (windows 98/Me preferable). If it reads there and not on windows XP, then your diskette was formatted probable 10 years before. Save its content on another PC's hard drive. Format it there and see if it reads now on Windows XP.

8. At this point the Floppy Drive could be the cause. So, you should replace it with another good one.

Good Luck,

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?