Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can't access family history site

I'v used the site www.familysearch.org regularly but suddenly I can't access it. Tried from "my favourites" and got the message "This page cannot be Displayed" It mentions site currently unavailable, technical difficulties or adjust browser settings. I asked a neighbour to try and she has no problem with the site. I'm not confident enought to mess about with browser settings although I did go and look at them!

Next I tried to access the site by inputting the address as opposed to using my favourites. This gives a different result. It opens a Yahoo page of family history sites. From this I clicked the one I wanted and then got the same "This page cannot be Displayed" message.

We have recently gone wireless - could this be the problem and how would I correct it. I have no problem with accessing any other sites, my favourites or otherwise.

I have disconnected my firewall in case it was stopping access but without success.

Chrisyp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access family history site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access family history site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Chrisy, More Information Please

In reply to: Can't access family history site

Which operating system are you using? Which browser are you using? Are you using a HOSTS file?

If you haven't tried a secondary browser, such as the free "Firefox" program, please do..It's always a good idea to have a backup plan. After installing Firefox, open it from the desktop icon and see if you can now access your site. Here's the link:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

If you're using Internet Explorer, please try adjusting the settings like this: While in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Internet Options". When that loads, click on the "Security" tab, then click once on the "Internet" icon, (the world globe), then click on the "Custom Level" button. When that loads, make sure the "Reset to" line says: "Medium", then click on the "Reset" button. Choose "Yes/OK" when it asks: "Are you sure?". Try to access the site again.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
System ME

In reply to: Chrisy, More Information Please

Sorry Grif. I should have said. I'm using ME. Not sure what browser but I have Internet Explorer - is that the browser. You'll understand from this I am definitely a "newbie". Will try what you suggest.

Chrisy.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "Help" - "About Internet Explorer" button in Toolbar.

In reply to: System ME

Collapse -
Can't access About Internet Explorer

In reply to: (NT) "Help" - "About Internet Explorer" button in Toolbar.

Did as you said. Clicked Help. Clicked About Internet Explorer, then when the Microsoft menu came up I clicked OK - Nothing opened up.

Chrisy.

Collapse -
Help

In reply to: Can't access About Internet Explorer

Not sure what browser but I have Internet Explorer - is that the browser.

The purpose of my post was that you should read the context displayed -- before clicking the OK button.
Collapse -
Have done as you suggest

I've checked my security settings as you suggest and they were set to medium.

I've installed Firefox and tried it but get the same result - can't find server. However, when installing Firefox I was asked to import. This included cookies, history and I think internet explorer settings. I imported them so if there was a problem with internet explorer, would I have imported the problem? I've also tried Firefox with Zone Alarm disconnected.

Chrisy.

Collapse -
Third question - "Hosts"

In reply to: Have done as you suggest

1. Click Start, Find, Files Or Folders and in the Named box, type hosts

2. In the Look In box, click My Computer, and then click Find Now.

NOTE:

Either rename the file to hosts.1, close out the search module, and then restart the computer to see if the anomaly disappears

==or==

In the list of found files, double-click the Hosts file.

3. In the Choose the program you want to use box, click Notepad.

Warning: Click to clear the Always use this program to open this file check box, and then click OK.

4. Place a number sign (#) at the beginning of a line containing the IP address of the Web site you are unable to view/access.

5. On the File menu, click Exit. When you are prompted to save the changes, click Yes.

6. Restart the computer. Note that if you renamed the file for a test run only, you can always use steps #1-#2 above to rename the file back to "Hosts" at any time.

Collapse -
Hosts tried

In reply to: Third question - "Hosts"

I tried your first suggestion. Found 2 files one names Hosts.SAM and one LMHosts.SAM. I renamed the first one hosts.1, closed and restarted the computer as you suggested. Still can't access the site I want.

Next looked at your second option. Two problems, I don't know what the IP address is of the web site I want, where would I find that? and also where exactly do I put #. I wondering whether you meant that I should see a line containing the IP address and then for me to add the # or was I supposed to enter the whole thing?

Chrisy

Collapse -
Hosts

In reply to: Hosts tried

Found 2 files one names Hosts.SAM and one LMHosts.SAM. I renamed the first one hosts.1, closed and restarted the computer as you suggested. Still can't access the site I want.

If you don't have the file listed in the RE: w/o extension, there is none in use.

I don't know what the IP address is of the web site I want, where would I find that?

You indicated in your first question: "I'v used the site www.familysearch.org regularly but suddenly I can't access it" which would be the URL to look for in the Hosts file if there was such a file.

and also where exactly do I put #. I wondering whether you meant that I should see a line containing the IP address and then for me to add the # or was I supposed to enter the whole thing?

If a line containing the URL was found in a Hosts file used on a system and a # (pound) sign is placed at the beginning of that line, the entry is nulled just as it would be if it wasn't there (deleted).

If your system used a Hosts file and you entered a certain URL, then your system/Internet Explorer could/would not access that site ever. If you entered such a URL including the # (pound) sign, you simply edited a file for nothing since the entry is meaningless/never used.
Collapse -
Firefox undeleted

Hi Grif

You'll see from other replies that I have tried your suggestions without success.

About Firefox and whether I have imported the error, I decided to uninstall it and try again; this time not importing anything. Unfortunately I only managed to uninstall the main programme. I still have Firefox Set-up on my desk top and I want to get rid of this too. If I just click and delete, will I get rid of all of it all or only the desk-top icon. How can I get rid completely so that I can start afresh?

Please note from this discussion, I am also trying out suggestions kindly given by cursorcowboy. Nothing's working yet.

Chrisy.

Collapse -
Chrisy, As Long As You Uninstalled From Add/Remove Programs

In reply to: Firefox undeleted

..Then the program is gone..The Firefox setup file is the program installer..Although you can delete it if you wish, (it won't harm anything), you'll need to download it again should you decide to reinstall Firefox.

By the way, when you "Import" into Firefox, you're only importing the "Favorites" from Internet Explorer..The process of "Importing" into FF should have nothing to do with your current issues.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Try getting there this way...

In reply to: Can't access family history site

In the Address bar of your browser either type or copy and paste the following bolded IP address - http://204.9.225.200

If you get the www.familysearch.org site as you should it is an indication that you do indeed have a HOSTS file blocking access and your HOSTS file (no file extension) might be hidden.

You can find the actual IP address of a site by opening a command prompt (DOS Window) and using tracert as follows''

tracert www.familysearch.org

That will cause something similar to the following to come up in the window and as you can see the actual IP address is there enclosed in brackets.

C:\>tracert www.familysearch.org

Tracing route to www.familysearch.org [204.9.225.200]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Collapse -
I'm in but now what

In reply to: Try getting there this way...

Thanks so much Edward, at least I have now accessed the site by using the IP address you gave me. I assume I don't have to use tracert in this instance as you kindly told me the address.

You say this means I have a HOSTS file blocking access, can I rectify this or should I just always use access the site using the IP address?

Chrisy

Collapse -
Or "DNS" problems.

In reply to: I'm in but now what

Collapse -
Too complicated

In reply to: Or "DNS" problems.

I'm sorry this is getting far too complicated for me. I am new to computers and just use them, I don't understand how they work and that's why I tried the newbies forum.

Thanks for trying to help anyway but now I've got to the site I wanted thanks to Edward I'll stick with that.

Sorry again if I seem incredibly thick.

Chrissy

Collapse -
Don't Be Sorry Chrissy

In reply to: Too complicated

We don't believe you are ''incredibly thick''. Most of us were or are where you are. Some of these problems have solutions that are a bit deep.
The important thing at this point is you are able to access the site that was eluding you.
Do not let this incident discourage you from asking for help on ''Newbies''. By your own admission you are a real Newbie and as such you can get a lot of help here.
This little piece of advice is from someone who has been there. Without the help I have received here I would be out one computer and the window I threw it out of. (This does not alter the fact I am still a Newbie.)

DC

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.