Laptops forum

General discussion

Can't access external usb cd-rom in dos.

I have a laptop with an external (USB)cd-rom. I'm trying to re-install Windows.
I CAN boot to my external usb floppy but I can't see the cd-rom.
I could launch my setup if I could access the cd-rom.

Now, I have found lots of info online but it hasn't worked.
Ex: The Duse system.
It tells you what to alter in config and Antoexec but I don't understand where the driver is.

Nothing has work for me yet.

Any clues - Thank you.

Z

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access external usb cd-rom in dos.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access external usb cd-rom in dos.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What OS are you trying to reinstall?

In reply to: Can't access external usb cd-rom in dos.

Your Windows CD should be bootable already. I am presuming your laptop can boot from a USB device. It should be able to detect the USB CD ROM if it was designed for it. Have you tried to see if you can set the CD ROM to be the first device in the boot order? The problem with using a DOS boot disk is that it needs a CD ROM driver on the disk and some changes to the autoexec.bat and config.sys as you suggested. Old MS DOS also needed MSCDEX.EXE as well. You had to tell it what driver to use and what drive letter to assign. This could be a tricky operation. A Windows 98 startup disk had the proper drivers to do this but it's not going to be much help if your OS is XP. Again, have to tried to boot from the CD ROM. That would be the best option.

Collapse -
Win XP

In reply to: What OS are you trying to reinstall?

It's Win XP but that doesn't matter because I just want to see my cd-rom in dos in order to run the setup.

Thanks

Collapse -
Boot that XP CD and it will run the setup proper.

In reply to: Win XP

Running it from DOS will result is nothing but a lot of lost time.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.