General discussion

Can't access any internet browsers with Windows XP

I have contracted something that is blocking internet browser access on my Windows XP (service pack 3) Dell Inspiron laptop. For example, IE8 automatically shuts down 3 seconds after the initial display; Chrome starts up but doesn't display any web pages; Firefox immediately crashes upon start up.

I have already executed Malwarebytes (full scan) in Safe mode.

Any suggestions for fixing this problem would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can't access any internet browsers with Windows XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't access any internet browsers with Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I had the same.

I had a similar problem. I went to the control panel, unistalled my windows service packs and unistalled my microsoft essentials security. I then downloaded a new antivirus (AVG)and ran that. It found 4 items. I updated my microsoft to service pack 3 once again and everything seems to be working. There is no detection of a virus any longer and my internet works once again. Previously, my internet would work for a few minutes then lock-up.
Let me know if this helps.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the reply

I have a question. Once I uninstall my windows service packs and microsoft essentials, I will be able to successfully use a browser to access the internet?

- Collapse -
Hope it helps

Yes. I was able to.

- Collapse -
Suggestion doesn't work

My control panel doesn't allow for uninstalling mt windows service packs and I can't locate microsoft essentials on the control panel.

Any other suggestions?

- Collapse -
That's all...

I went to control panel and then the "Add or Remove Programs" category. The files will appear as either "Microsoft.net" or "MSXML" files. I erased anything that said Servic pack 3 and Service Pack 2. My computer is still working and looks to be virus free. When I look for the service pack 3 I am not able to find it but I know that I did load it. Either way you may have to look on the net for directions on how to uninstall the service packs. Also, I noticed that Service pack 3 caused many people similar problems when it first came out almost 2 years ago. Did you just install service pack 3now? Either way if you are successful in removing and re-installing then it seems to work.
Good Luck

- Collapse -
Did You Try..

CodeBlue..

Did you check to see if your proxy settings were changed? Open IE and go to Tools>Internet Options>Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a checkmark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Best of luck..
Carol

- Collapse -
Yes, I tried that

Yes, I followed your suggestion and the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" was already unchecked.

I am still unable to access the internet.

Thanks for your help.

- Collapse -
Try these scannners

if you have access to another computer to copy to CD or USB flash drive,
Hitman Pro and Dr Web CureIt. Hitman Pro can repair some browser hijacks
and Dr Web CureIt will advise and reset your "Hosts Files" to default at
the end of the scan. Hitman Pro should take less than 10 mins but Dr Web may
take 1 hr or more. Important to note that Dr Web will initially offer to run
in "Enhanced Protection Mode" which is similar to safe mode in that no
additional services will be allowed to start. Probably not necessary in your
case but your choice. Also, keep track of the Dr Web scan as it will stop
and wait for your actions when it finds something malicious. Could be worth
a try before resorting to uninstalling any service packs.

- Collapse -
That fixed the problem

bhringer,

After using your suggestions, I am now able to use my internet browsers again.

Thanks for your help.

- Collapse -
Your welcome

and thanks for posting back, might help someone else as well.

bhringer

CNET Forums

Forum Info