Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Can't access 1 site with 1 ISP

by Scruppy / June 24, 2004 12:44 PM PDT

Hello! I work with Century 21 in NC. We have a website through homes.com that is accessed using our own domain name of rutherfordcountyhomesandland.com. We have 3 other names that point to it. My problem is this:

I have 3 computers at my office -- 2 desktops (1 using WIN 98, other WIN XP) and 1 laptop (WIN XP) -- that connect via Bellsouth DSL. I have a wireless belkin router to share the DSL connection. I can connect to the net just fine. I cannot connect to MY website. (NOTE: Our domain name expired and then it was renewed. It worked fine before it went down . . .) If I use a different ISP (such as Walmart) on the same computer, I can pull it up just fine. Just not using Bellsouth. I get a "Can't find Server" error. I believe that it is a Bellsouth problem as opposed to a router problem.

I'm stumped because although I've worked with web developing for years, I've never come across this problem before -- it's usually the whole net or none -- not just one site using one ISP. Can anyone offer any suggestions or insight into what might be happening? I was wondering if it had something to do with the DNS servers at Bellsouth. Please e-mail me at SwipedOut@wmconnect.com with any ideas -- I'd really appreciate it. Thanks everyone -- and have a wonderfully safe 4th of July!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access 1 site with 1 ISP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access 1 site with 1 ISP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't access 1 site with 1 ISP
by Sovereign Forum moderator / June 24, 2004 10:03 PM PDT

There are a couple things you could try to see were the problem is. It could either be (a) that the old DNS on your computer hasn't updated. To see if that's the case go to RUN, type in CMD (Dos) and type in "ipconfig /flushdns". That should clear your all old stuff. If that didn't work, it's probably Bellsouth. So (b), if you changed it recently, give it 24 to 48 hours to update on their servers, if it's past that, you probably have to write them and tell them to update it.

Collapse -
by Scruppy / June 25, 2004 11:13 AM PDT

I did try the ipconfig command and nothing changed. I did call Bellsouth yesterday and asked them to update their DNS servers and if I had a videophone, I know the reps I talked with would show faces conveying that I was from a different planet. <g> However, it did update and as of today my websites are back up and running as they should. Thanks for your input -- it's nice to know that my thinking wasn't as crazy as the looks I got yesterday. Happy

Collapse -
by Sovereign Forum moderator / June 26, 2004 12:53 AM PDT

We've all been there at some point Grin

Collapse -
by lildude / July 2, 2004 7:55 AM PDT

Let the Domain be accessable world wide. There's no problem your side. The domain is not yet propogated. The ISP not showing up your site havent updated their DNS. Hence you Cant see your website through that ISP> As soon as the ISP updated the DNS it will show up. No need to bother. Just relax and wait.

Regards,

Frank

http://www.linux-web-host.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!