Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can someone shed some light on Microsoft Genuine Validation

by rgarcia6 / January 4, 2007 4:40 AM PST

I have a "Shadow Star Icon" from a Microsoft website informing me that Microsoft is unable to validate my operating system. It launches everytime I start the computer and several times throughout the day. At startup the computer will not get to the home screen without making a selection of whether to correct now or later. It offers me the opportunity to "purchase validation." Everything on my computer is legitemate.

I've looked in the System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) startup and services and don't recognize it.

I have a HP Pavilion a647c, w/Windows XP. This is the site that it directs me too:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/AutomaticUpdates.aspx?displaylang=en&Error=5&PartnerID=101&sGuid=976e5353-c613-4572-b7d0-e6b3c79bba4b

If you scroll to the 3rd section of the webpage you will see the "star" that I refrenced earlier.

Bottom line is I don't know if this is for real. Please help.

Thanks,
rgarcia6

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone shed some light on Microsoft Genuine Validation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone shed some light on Microsoft Genuine Validation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You sure?

If you bought this system new, then you should be able to simply call the activation phone number, explain the situation, and get everything resolved.

If you got this system used, or it didn't come with XP from the factory, you're going to have a tougher time of it. So I hope you saved the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) paper that comes with any legal copy of XP. Without it, you're probably never going to have any luck convincing Microsoft your copy is legal.

Officially, Microsoft claims that only some small fraction of people are being hit by the false-positive problem with "genuine" advantage. Unofficially, the problem is almost certainly much wider spread, probably affecting up to 10% or more of all Windows users.

A lot of people seem to be getting bit by this as a result of work having been done on their systems by third parties as well. Smaller shops will sometimes load pirated copies onto people's systems to make a few extra bucks. Unfortunately, even if you could prove that's what happened to you, you're still going to get shafted by having to buy a new license.

Unfortunately, the only party that really has a genuine advantage from the genuine advantage program is Microsoft. It's a program slanted in their favor, marketed as some consumer protection mechanism. While it does help out some of the smaller computer shops that are actually honest and only install legal software, everyone else gets a good shafting in a place that rarely sees the light of day.

Collapse -
Microsoft Genuine Validation problem
by rgarcia6 / January 5, 2007 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: You sure?

Thanks for your input.
System was bought new from Sams Club and validated by Microsoft two years ago. This is a problem that just cropped up this week.

Collapse -
Two years ago, that was the old Validation process
by DarCLew2 / January 5, 2007 9:55 AM PST
Collapse -
This one is easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 5:32 AM PST

If it fails and you are legit then you call HP to sort it out. If the machine was used you likely have an illegal version on the machine and then it's time to confront the seller.

It's that simple.

Bob

Collapse -
Media player 11 can install this tool
by steve l / January 5, 2007 9:59 PM PST

Hi rgarcia
I had this validation tool appear after installing Media Player 11 there was a website with a tool for removing it but Microsoft didnt like it so they had to take it off. There is not a problem with the tool and it never really caused a problem on my pc but I have since found out that it validates your pc every time you reboot why it needs to do that I dont know. If you need to get rid of it hijack this will do the job but be carefull what you delete.
Steve

Collapse -
Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage problem
by rgarcia6 / January 6, 2007 5:25 AM PST

Thanks! That sheds light on my problem. I had just upgraded to Media Player 11 and it was shortly after this that the pop-ups began.
Today I went to the library to check this out and PC World magazine in its Aug 2006 issue said that Microsoft has begun 'quietly distributing a WGA notification program to some users via automatic updates.' and that the automated process sometimes 'gets it wrong!' At least I'm beginning to understand now. Thanks for your input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?