Computer Help forum

Question

Can someone please help me with black screen?

by Grandex / February 27, 2015 12:36 AM PST

I really need your help guys cause I really can't afford to take my pc in for repair. Here are my problems:

1) My screen goes randomly black and back, it does this about twice an hour. When I move my mouse it usually comes back.... a few times it has rebooted.

2) I have a web design program which I can open but the icon to open a page stays gray and the busy signal goes on for a few minutes and then I get a "not enough memory" message.....I have plenty of memory so I have no idea why it does this.

3) System restore will start and then when the pc opens again I get an error messgae saying it could not restore.

Here is what I have tried:

I have defraged the drive...still same problems
I have increased ram memory...still same issues
I have used many cleaners such as: RegCure, RegHunter, SpyHunter, CCCleaner, SlimCleaner & SystemCheckup.....NOTHING HELPS!!!!

Please can somone help me please?

Thank you so much!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone please help me with black screen?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone please help me with black screen?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Since defragging never has fixed a PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 12:44 AM PST

Why do that?

But worse you used a lot of suspect cleaners and could have damaged the OS or installed many bad things.

Short of starting over, try Grif's advice after you uninstall RegCure, RegHunter, SpyHunter, CCCleaner, SlimCleaner & SystemCheckup.

Grif writes more at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5509131.html?tag=posts;msg5509131

If you want to spend a few rounds slamming RegCure, RegHunter, SpyHunter, CCCleaner, SlimCleaner & SystemCheckup we can do that too.
Bob

Collapse -
CCLeaner is a nice app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 1:15 AM PST

No known bad things but it shouldn't fix the issue. The other titles are pretty well accepted as crapware.
Bob

Collapse -
Suspect cleaners????
by Grandex / February 27, 2015 3:14 AM PST

Regcure and the other cleaners I mentioned have worked for me for years and always helped remove malware etc.....they are also in the top ten at CNET so why do you say they are suspect?

What cleaner do you think is not?

Collapse -
It's been kicked around many many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: Suspect cleaners????
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I Agree with Bob
by itsdigger / February 27, 2015 1:09 AM PST

But , was this all happening before you loaded all of the garbage programs ?
It might also help to tell some info about the computer like , make model, OS and such, otherwise you'll get a bunch of generic answers

Digger

Collapse -
PC
by Grandex / February 27, 2015 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: I Agree with Bob

I have a Dell inspiron desktop PC using Windows 7

Collapse -
You never answered the question
by itsdigger / February 27, 2015 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: PC

Was this happening before you used all of the garbage programs?
Why the thumbs down?
Digger

Collapse -
Error I am getting which was not fixed
by Grandex / February 27, 2015 9:33 AM PST

I am trying to open a program and the busy signal stays on forever then I get this error message "Ran out of memory while trying to allocate 0 bytes"

Any thoughts????

Collapse -
Your'e being too vague
by itsdigger / February 27, 2015 9:43 AM PST

suggest you contact Dell and sing the blues there..
Get the restore media you need from them
Digger

Collapse -
Agree.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Your'e being too vague

Dafydd.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
restore point
by renegade600 / February 27, 2015 3:25 AM PST

try a system restore to a previously saved restore point prior to when the problems started. if it does not help we need the full model number of the pc.

Collapse -
"could not restore. " Known issue with Norton, Kapersky,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: restore point

And others. It's anyone's guess why those security suites are not popping up and revealing what's up.

But the OS has been hit with so much that it's all bets off. I'd try Grif's advice and think about the usual canned air cleaning.
Bob

Collapse -
completely missed it
by renegade600 / February 27, 2015 7:49 AM PST

that is what happens when I don't get my morning Dr Pepper :-0 thanks

Collapse -
Mr. Pibbs here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: completely missed it
Collapse -
Answer
Drive space and power time-outs
by James Denison / February 27, 2015 5:35 AM PST

How much drive space do you have left? Windows needs at least 12% of what appears as "empty" space on a drive, or the pagefile starts shrinking, then programs start freezing, and downhill from there.

You should also run a RAM test like memtest86 or similar. It's available free on most open source software, but especially from boot menu of various linux distros. You boot to the distro, run the memtest program from the menu. If you don't see the menu, then press the TAB key or "e" key to access the menu while the LIVE DVD or LIVE USB when it's giving the countdown to boot, usually have 10 seconds as default setting.

Check your power on/off settings, in Control Panel at power icon to correct timed sleep periods or shutdowns when idle.

Collapse -
Worst now
by Grandex / February 27, 2015 6:06 AM PST

Well I have tried some of the suggestions here and now my PC is worst.....now I can't access the internet...I get an error saying it can't find any network hardware..... grrrrrrrrrr

Collapse -
If there is/was malware or such
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Worst now

Removing it can cause some pains like that. Sometimes the OS is so dinged up we start over.

That is, not many today want to deal with boots to safe mode to peel out bad things or put another way they want CureMyPC with big green buttons that will automatically cure the ailing OS.

In my opinion, Microsoft's continued lack of automated, user friendly OS repair tools is going to drive more folk to tablets, phones, Apple products and Linux.
Bob

Collapse -
that can happen
by renegade600 / February 27, 2015 8:07 AM PST

that is one of the problems of not being able to sit in front of a computer when trying to help. also running those registry cleaners did not help matters since it is possible it was one of them that messed up your system restore - unless you tried to do a system restore prior to running them.

my only suggestion is to try the following from micosoft

http://support2.microsoft.com/fixit/

Collapse -
Just thinking out loud...
by Oldartq / February 27, 2015 1:16 PM PST

I wonder if this could be a virus.

Collapse -
Somethign I've run into too often.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2015 1:23 AM PST

The OS is hit with virus, cleaners and more. Removal of the virus doesn't undo the damage.

At that point there are tomes about resetting the TCP/IP "stack", SFC, Windows Refresh in hopes of repairing the virus/trojan/cleaner damage but it's far from a sure thing.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!