Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can someone please help me!

by wtxlonghorn / October 16, 2007 2:32 PM PDT

Excuse me if I ramble a bit but I have several problems. First the system I am working on is a homemade system that I built several years ago and have made several updates too. My current problem is with several HD's I have that I would like to clean, reformat and use in a couple other systems. I really and looking for a simple way to plug the drive in as a Primary Slave and then FDISK it. This is proving harder than I thought, if I set the drive to cable select, my system attempts to boot from them and I get a screen full of 01 01 01 01 01 01 or a screen with 04 04 04 04 04 04 I finally got one drive reformatted using the Computer Management tools, then I downloaded a set of utilities called "Ultimate Boot Disk", somehow while using them I have messed up my Primary Master drive which now shows to be only 32 meg and the 110gb drive I just got reformatted shows to be like 667GB. I am really ready to just dump them all and wipe them clean, and reformat these drives. Is there an easy way to wipe these drives clean? Clean the partitions? Check there integrity? and reformat them? BTW, one is a 160gb Seagate that came out of my DirectTV DVR.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone please help me!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone please help me!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bingo, the old LILO boot screen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 11:45 PM PDT

"BTW, one is a 160gb Seagate that came out of my DirectTV DVR."

That had linux on it so you have yet to rewrite the MBR. I'm going to decline writing how to format a drive or write the MBR since you can find that widely on the internet.

To keep your machine from booting that drive don't put it on your PRIMARY IDE connection. Use the Secondary next time.

Bob

Collapse -
One more thing!
by wtxlonghorn / October 17, 2007 7:17 AM PDT

The system I am using is a dual bootable system that I had installed PCLinuxOS, I am a total Linux newbie, but I wanted to give it a shot and during the course of all these experiments with the various HD's I apparently messed up the old MBR, because I use to get a boot screen that game the option of booting to Linux or Windows and now it boots straight to Windows, is there a repair for this? OR do I need to start over, it took me forever initially to get Linux installed, but I do like the option of kicking Microsoft to the curb!! I stopped messing with it because I could never get my wireless usb adapter to work. Thanks for the help!!

Collapse -
For my PCLINUX wifi...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2007 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: One more thing!

I used the NDISWRAPPER method. I only had to use google to get that to work. I also think the MBR issue can't be tackled so lightly since one would have to share more detail (grub, lilo choices) than what I see here.

But GRUB and LILO repairs are widely documented.

Bob

Collapse -
Say what?
by BrianZachary / October 17, 2007 9:06 AM PDT

wtxlonghorn said:
"somehow while using them I have messed up my Primary Master drive which now shows to be only 32 meg and the 110gb drive I just got reformatted shows to be like 667GB."

667 GB? Is this a typo?

Also, what made you think to take a hard drive out of a DVR box and use it for a computer hard drive? So they are compatible? Just curious because I've never heard of that.

Collapse -
Not a type-o
by wtxlonghorn / October 17, 2007 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Say what?

Yes, the drive in the DVR is a Seagate 160gb standard drive. I have been working on it this afternoon, the 110gb that had showed to be a 667gb has now been reformatted again and now shows to be correct. I am still curious where my Linux boot screen went on my normal boot-up screen, guess it is gone. Oh well, guess it is time to build a little media server for my home theater. Anyone have a suggestion for a good video playback card for this kind of task?

Collapse -
How big do they come?
by BrianZachary / October 17, 2007 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Not a type-o

I didn't know they made hard drives that big. How large do they have them?

Collapse -
How big? A Terabyte.
by Coryphaeus / October 17, 2007 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: How big do they come?
Collapse -
Wow.
by BrianZachary / October 18, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: How big? A Terabyte.

Just...wow.

That's a lot of space. And not a bad price either at $400. I don't think I'd be able to fill that hard drive in my entire lifetime, even if I never deleted anything.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!