Question

Can someone please help?

Hi everyone, I'm trying to look for a laptop right now that is portable enough to bring around college, yet good enough to play a few games like the Call of Duty series or Battlefield. Anyone have any suggestions? And no alienwares please. I've looked into those. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can someone please help?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can someone please help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Maybe better try our ...
- Collapse -
We have the CNET Laptop buying advice forum top post.

But your choice of a gaming laptop is full of contradictions. You'll get low battery times, dodgy life (figure HALF of the normal laptop life span) and more heat and weight. Many will live with that and get some gamer laptop and count on troubles.

At least they did so knowing the issues.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Don't bother

Don't bother, because laptops -- ironically, especially so-called gaming laptops -- are absolutely HORRIBLE for gaming. You want to play games, get a desktop or a game console. You try playing games on a laptop, you're sure to shorten its lifespan significantly. Which is actually why so-called gaming laptops are so awful. The amount of heat generated by all those high end components is too much and starts slowly baking the internal components until they fail in 6-18 months on average.

Laptops on a college campus isn't as great as an idea as it sounds at first blush anyway. They tend to get stolen, you run the risk of someone accidentally spilling something on your laptop, and they still rather suck for taking notes on during a lecture assuming you can manage to avoid the temptation to spend the entire class period screwing around on Facebook or something similar.

My advice, which actually draws from some psychological research on effective learning habits, is to put all your money into a nice desktop or maybe even just some game consoles. You do all your school work on campus. If you need to type something up, go to a lab and use one of those computers. Part of your tuition is going to pay for those anyway. Everything school related is done on campus, and then when you're at your dorm/frat/apartment you can focus on the non-school things like playing some games. This helps to create a clear division between the two in your mind, and will actually help you to focus more when you're on campus. You will condition yourself to take on the persona of a serious student when you're on campus, and off-campus you can be a regular guy. If you try and mix the two, you will find it increasingly difficult to resist the temptations of video games and other distractions in your dorm/frat/apartment if you're stuck doing some long boring project, of which there will be many. Each time you give into that temptation to do something else, it gets a little bit easier the next time. So it's generally better to just deny that particular battle and get all your school work done at school, and then do everything else at home.

- Collapse -
Thank You!

Alright, I took into consideration everyone's helpful comments.
Thanks for the time you all took just to help me answer my boring questions haha Grin
Thank you!!

CNET Forums