Question

can someone help? networking noob!

Hi,
In my home we have an iMac G5, two laptops running Windows XP, and one desktop, also XP. We have an O2 wireless box iv (which I believe is a rebadged Thomson SpeedTouch TG587nv2) to which the mac and desktop pc are wired and the two laptops connect wirelessly. One of the laptops is mine, and i would like to be able to connect to the mac to share files etc, and possibly to the other pcs, but this is not imperative. I have a printer connected to the mac, and one to the pc, which I would like to be able to access from any of the laptops. I haven't got a clue how to start setting this up! could anyone offer advice please? can i use the wireless router as a print server? what are the security implications of having all the computers networked i.e if a virus infected one, could it spread through the network? Most of the people in my house are even more clueless than me, I wouldn't want one of them clicking on an email attachment and infecting everyone! thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: can someone help? networking noob!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: can someone help? networking noob!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like too much work to me.

Why not get a wireless (WiFi) printer since any printer server will cost just as much. Also, the setup is not the only thing you would learn but when another machine won't print you dive into another deeper pool of issues that you don't seem ready for.

There is no single paragraph I could write to begin to cover it all (unless I wrote to google it?) so the simplest solution is to get a WiFi printer and then let them print to it.

As to sharing files. I can start by using DROPBOX (see google).
Bob

- Collapse -
Agree 100%

Get a wireless printer for about $100. Load the software on each laptop and desktop, make it the default printer on each michine and save a lot of time and trouble.

CNET Forums