Windows 7 forum

Question

Can Someone HELP Me with my Slow Gateway Win 7 Desktop?

by SylvanWiz / July 2, 2011 6:52 AM PDT

My Win7 Gateway Desktop has been running slow for a few weeks now. I used the Gateway Recovery instead of my Windows recovery to get back to New status because of this, but, it hasn't helped.
Here is what I have:
Gateway DX4381 Win 7 Home Premium Sys. Type x64 based-PC
Version 6.1.7601 Serv Pack 1
Intel i5 3.2 GB Processor w/ 1 TB HD & 8 GB RAM
Nvidia 310 3D 512MB PCIEx16 Video Card (I installed and purchased at time of Puter purchase).
Default Realtek Audio for this model (bought from TigerDirect.com)
Use McAfee Security Suite 8
I use both Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse & Keyboard (Batteries New)
Heat runs at 42C and OS system 109F degrees. Too hot?
Seems like something holding back my processing when I selct a task. Task manager often shows low computer useage. I wonder how to best upgrade my performance?
This thing with the wait spinning circle happens for both Non Internet and Internet selections. Even opening my Control Panel at times can be a bit slow. I've cleaned everything I know of to do, and, yet, I am rather a novice with real Computer knowledge, I usually can figure most things out, but, this system hanging all the time is a pain and it used to be fast especially regardless of my 512 MB DSL, but, even regular computing, I often get the spinning Blue Wheel (as opposed to the old Hour Glass).
All drivers (as far as I know) are up to date. I sometimes question or wonder about the "Critical" upgdates, and I don't always choose the Optional updates. Seems to me that sometimes after these upgraded updates it will act different.
I don't know what could be the problem. I did have issues with the trial Home Office 7 that came with it, and, also though I removed all of it. Installed Windows Live E-mail after MS Home Office Outlook expired.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Someone HELP Me with my Slow Gateway Win 7 Desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Someone HELP Me with my Slow Gateway Win 7 Desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd Start With This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 6, 2011 1:17 AM PDT

First, uninstall all parts of the McAfee suite to see if that makes a substantial difference.. It frequently does and if so, then you may choose to install something else that doesn't bog down the system.

Besides, if you've got two antivirus programs or two firewalls running at the same times, you need to uninstall one and keep the other.

Frequently, registry cleaners/optimizers can cause such issues and if you've got one installed, it might be a good idea to uninstall it and never use it again.

Next, be sure to update your Windows 7 operating system to Service Pack 1 if you haven't done so already.. There are a number of computer reliability fixes in the Service Pack, as well as vital security updates.

Next, click on the link below and disable the unnecessary startup services that are running in the background and slow things down. Changes your "Services" settings so they match the "Tweaked" or "Safe" columns. Then restart the computer.

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Next, click on the Start button, then type "msconfig" in the search line, press the "Enter" key, then click on the "Startup" tab when the System Configuration Utility window loads. Scroll through the various programs that are running on startup and UNCHECK the boxes next to those that aren't required to run at startup.. As just an example, most folks have Adobe Reader on their computer and there are one or two items for Reader in "msconfig" that can be unchecked.. To check which items are unnecessary and can be unchecked, click on the link below and check for the programs names. Click on the appropriate letter on the page to check alphabetically for the program executable name seen in "msconfig".:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
This are the possible causes for slow system
by kroshan / July 6, 2011 8:47 PM PDT

I am listing the below some causes which result in slow behavior. However your configuration is good
1.) Virus Issue - Try scanning for virus with good antivirus software, i recommend kaspersky

2.) Disk related issue - Try doing check Disk, Open command prompt and type chkdsk also check for different drive. Often its found that bad sector on hard drive make system very slow.

3.) Fragmentation - Try defragmenting the drives, One of the main reason for slow behavior is fragmentation.

4.) Remove unnecessary program from startup - Goto Start => Run => type MSCONFIG, and then press the ENTER key. Now go to start up tab and uncheck all unnecessary program and apply the changes.

Since you said, you observe low cpu usage, that mean its not an issue of virus or any heavy process being running in your system. This clearly an issue with the disk. Try performing the above steps and tell did it helped.
Hope that will solve your problem

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!