Laptops forum

Question

Can someone help me pick a laptop?

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and I am looking to buy a new laptop. I was hoping somebody could help me. I am currently a college student going for an engineering degree. I'm not to familiar with computers, but I do know with all the CAD I plan on doing, I will need a solid laptop. My budget is only up to $1,000. I have done previous research on laptops, and most of my choices came to gaming laptops because of their graphics capabilities. Again, I am a college student, so I will use this for things other than school and gaming.

I am looking for a laptop that is 15.6" and i7.

I have narrowed down my search to 5 different laptops. I have made an exception for 2 of the options on the budget because I thought these laptops were very exceptional.

1. MSI GE60 Apache -033 15.6-Inch Laptop

2. ASUS ROG GL551

3. Lenovo Y50

4. Lenovo Z50

5. Toshiba Satellite P50

[SPOILER]
1) What is your budget?
$1,000 (not including my 2 exceptions)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
Amazon or the website of the distributor

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
No

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
I would like a new laptop

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
College work
CAD
Movies/Multimedia
Games

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Both

Cool Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Yes - Not sure what types yet. I'm more of a console gamer, but I do like gaming laptops, just in case I move to PC gaming.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
I would prefer a lot

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows 8

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Doesn't matter, but glossy does look cool.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Yes. I don't want something ugly, I want something that looks pretty cool.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
Probably Black Friday or Cyber Monday

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
A long time

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
1 TB would be nice

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
Not to sure what this is.[/Spoiler]
Comments:

I am mostly leaning towards the MSI at this point. I like the specs and from the reviews I have read and seen online, it looks like a really solid computer. The customizable keyboard is a plus :).

I have read reviews on the ASUS ROG and it seems there is a lot of trouble with the sound quality and the keyboard. This is still a top contender though because of its price.

For the Lenovo laptops, I thought they both have excellent specs and I have heard good things about Lenovo. I don't exactly see much of a difference from the two laptops other than the price (Thoughts?).

The Toshiba P50 is a top choice because of its touchscreen option. The link I attached doesn't show my customizations to it, but overall it will come below $1,000.

All in all, currently I am mostly between these laptops. If I had to rank my current choices, it would be MSI, Z50, ROG, P50, Y50. If you guys could help me choose between these laptops, that would be great. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone help me pick a laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone help me pick a laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry for long post

In reply to: Can someone help me pick a laptop?

Sorry my post is so big, I thought HTML would work on here and I don't know how to edit.

Collapse -
No it's fine.

In reply to: Sorry for long post

You've found the usual 1000 buck models. Try CNET and Notebookcheck reviews to see what sways you.
I'm partial to the Y50 and Asus.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Laptop for Student

In reply to: Can someone help me pick a laptop?

Don't worry about the length of your because here you have the overall description of what type laptop you want. According to your need there are many laptops available in your budget. Here are some of the laptop which I suggest is:-
Lenovo N20p
Asus Transformer Book T100
HP Stream 11.6
Toshiba Chromebook 2

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!