Sorry my post is so big, I thought HTML would work on here and I don't know how to edit.
Hi all, I'm new to the forums and I am looking to buy a new laptop. I was hoping somebody could help me. I am currently a college student going for an engineering degree. I'm not to familiar with computers, but I do know with all the CAD I plan on doing, I will need a solid laptop. My budget is only up to $1,000. I have done previous research on laptops, and most of my choices came to gaming laptops because of their graphics capabilities. Again, I am a college student, so I will use this for things other than school and gaming.
I am looking for a laptop that is 15.6" and i7.
I have narrowed down my search to 5 different laptops. I have made an exception for 2 of the options on the budget because I thought these laptops were very exceptional.
1. MSI GE60 Apache -033 15.6-Inch Laptop
2. ASUS ROG GL551
3. Lenovo Y50
4. Lenovo Z50
5. Toshiba Satellite P50
1) What is your budget?
$1,000 (not including my 2 exceptions)
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
15" - 16" screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook?
Amazon or the website of the distributor
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
I would like a new laptop
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Yes - Not sure what types yet. I'm more of a console gamer, but I do like gaming laptops, just in case I move to PC gaming.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
I would prefer a lot
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Online is fine
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Doesn't matter, but glossy does look cool.
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Yes. I don't want something ugly, I want something that looks pretty cool.
15) When are you buying this laptop?
Probably Black Friday or Cyber Monday
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
A long time
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
1 TB would be nice
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
Not to sure what this is.[/Spoiler]
I am mostly leaning towards the MSI at this point. I like the specs and from the reviews I have read and seen online, it looks like a really solid computer. The customizable keyboard is a plus :).
I have read reviews on the ASUS ROG and it seems there is a lot of trouble with the sound quality and the keyboard. This is still a top contender though because of its price.
For the Lenovo laptops, I thought they both have excellent specs and I have heard good things about Lenovo. I don't exactly see much of a difference from the two laptops other than the price (Thoughts?).
The Toshiba P50 is a top choice because of its touchscreen option. The link I attached doesn't show my customizations to it, but overall it will come below $1,000.
All in all, currently I am mostly between these laptops. If I had to rank my current choices, it would be MSI, Z50, ROG, P50, Y50. If you guys could help me choose between these laptops, that would be great. Thanks!