Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can someone help me? Drive Letters Switching!!! (Repost)

Using Windows 98SE, Pentium 4 processor, 512MB Ram.
I FDISK my hard drive, partitioned, reformatted using my original Windows 98SE CD and my original Windows StartUp disk, installed Windows and two of my drives keep switching.

I don't have a virus, have never had a virus and have never had this problem before.

I have done FDISK, partitioned mine and my hubby's hard drives numerous times down through the years using the same directons I learned from the kind folks at the former ZDNet forum.

Everything is fine when Windows starts up and the Drives are lettered properly but whenever I start installing programs in Drive D the problem starts. My Drives are Floppy A, Hard Drive C and D, CDROM Drive E, Zip Drive F, CDRW Drive G.

Every time I install a program my Drive D swaps with my zip drive F. Everything was working fine with my computer before I reformatted, I just reformat occasionally to keep things running smoothly.

Whenever I install a program in Drive D I can no longer use it because after I reboot the PC Drive D becomes my Zip Drive. Then if I install another program and reboot Drive D is my partitioned part of my hard drive again. I have never had this happen before.

If I change it in the system registry and at the device manager and reboot that doesn't solve it. I reinstalled a program and the drives were lettered properly so, I run FDISK, partitioned, reformatted, reinstalled Windows again but the drives are still switching. In the bios I set to only boot up the hard drive and not to boot up with CDROM, zip, or floppy because I thought perhaps there was a conflict but that didn't help either.

Can anyone give me information how to fix this problem? I know there are some very intelligent people at the forum and I need all of the help I can get!

Sorry to repost this in another thread but it seems once a question has been answered no one checks to see if that reply resolved the issue.

I read all of the info in the last reply and none it applies to my situation.

I am using my hubby's PC. Mine is not usable. Every time I install something the Drive D partition swaps to my Zip Drive.

I have had no problems before with the zip drive. It is recognized by Windows. The zip drive is not a new install and Windows doesn't hang up on start because I have a zip drive.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Kay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone help me? Drive Letters Switching!!! (Repost)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone help me? Drive Letters Switching!!! (Repost)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why the Repost?

In reply to: Can someone help me? Drive Letters Switching!!! (Repost)

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=27720&messageID=313025 supplied a very complete link to many of the issues. Much of your system is what we call EXPERTS ONLY DO THIS in which a lot of drives are installed.

Such an expert would know that all the firmware of the BIOS, the CD Drives and what else should be current and that 80 conductor IDE cables may help as well as setting the drive jumpers proper. Another expert issue with such a machine is that they will know to fit an overly large power supply so that no brownout situation occurs to give them grief.

Also such an expert system may try to ASSIGN the drive letters of the CDROM rather than let Windows autoassign such.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Collapse -
Re: Why the Repost?

In reply to: Why the Repost?

Why the repost?

I had already read all of the information at the Microsoft site and none of it applied to my situation.

I reposted because when you stay in the same thread I have found that it appears your problem has been resolved and no one comes along with REAL help. I miss the good old days when moderators answered the questions with more specific help.

I have been working with two computers for over five years. Have installed hard drives, zip drives, CDROMS, CDRW's, video cards, sound cards, net cards, etc and have never had an issued that I could not resolve or get help to resolve at the old ZDNet forum.

No need to reply to this message because I will not be returning to the forum.

Kay

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.