Cameras forum

General discussion

Can someone help me decide?

My husband bought me a Nikon S9 in magenta for $229.00 to match my cell phone, but I have been reading reviews about the Canon SD700 IS and I am leaning towards taking the Nikon back. I found the Canon at Costco for $309.00. Which I thought was a great price. I want a compact camera to carry with me for quick shots. But, I also want excellent picture quality, battery life and great looks. Also, image stabilization, will it truly make a difference? I would apprieciate any help you can give. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone help me decide?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone help me decide?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Comparison

In reply to: Can someone help me decide?

I wish I could say that one takes better pictures than the other, but I have no way of knowing.

I have been unable to find any sample photos from the Nikon S9.
And there have been no reviews, so far.

Maybe you can tell us........

You have the Nikon S9.
How does your camera photos compare to the Canon SD700IS photos.

Here is a link to sample photos from the SD700IS:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/sd700_samples.html

Click on any of the photos and it will open up to full size.

Collapse -
I tool the Nikon S9 Back

In reply to: Can someone help me decide?

Well, I played with the Nikon and I was not that impressed. The LCD screen was always grainy and when I took pictures with the zoom they were grainy too. I poured over reviews of other camera all weekend and I came across the Fujifilm F30. I was intreged with all the features and the great reviews, so I went to the camera store and I tried it out along with the SD700 SI. The LCD was great on both, nothing like the Nikon and I liked the idea that you could use manual control on the Fuji, both cameras had IS, but the Fuji's ISO went up to 3200 compared to 800 on the SD700. The Fuji impressed me with the control placement and the look and long battery life. The SD700 impressed me with the weight and the feel of it and a viewfinder (though I was dissapointed that it did not show the zoom through it, it basically was just a window to look through). Also you could hold them both with one hand to shoot. I returned the Nikon right there and then, but I did not buy another camera. The prices were to high.$399.99 for the Canon and $329.99 for the Fuji.

When I went home I researched both and found that Circuit City online had the Fuji for $280 and had a $50 rebate, making the camera a deal at $230.00. I also found a great deal at Costco on the SD700 SI for $309.99. Now my problem is that I need to decide which is the best camera to get.

Should I go with the well known Canon or with the up and coming Fuji? This is a really hard decision. If there is anyone out there that might be able to point out some good reasons to go with one or the other I would appreciate it. I am going crazy trying to decide.

I did like that the Fuji came with an AC Adapter.

HELP! Arggggghhhh

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.