Computer Help forum

Can someone help me?

by nathanpinno / January 22, 2013 3:24 AM PST

Greetings everyone,

I need help getting sound back on my desktop, as I had to reinstall Windows XP after I got stuck in a reboot loop after I updated my antivirus/firewall solutions (by ZoneAlarm btw). Now I have no sound and I can't get it working, even after going to HP's site and downloading the drivers there.

My computer is an HP Pavilion m7480n Media Center PC. If anyone can help me get the sound back, I'll be grateful for the help.

Nathan Pinno

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone help me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone help me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: no sound
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Can someone help me?

Sometimes in XP you need to install the MS UAA driver also, at the right time. The best thing to do is to contact HP customer service and ask for "how to install XP" instructions.

Collapse -
I guess I forgot to mention...
by nathanpinno / January 22, 2013 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: no sound

I guess I forgot to mention that this rig is 6 years old and no longer under warranty.

I've also tried to install that driver but I still don't have any sound. I do know that it has a P5LE mobo from Asus with a Realtek part for the sound.

Collapse -
At that age, by now you should have the install plan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 3:43 AM PST

That's 6 years to collect the plan, drivers and of course make a backup copy of a working installed OS.

Here's that MS UAA again noted at

Notice how if you don't install that at the right time you may end up with no sound?

Realtek makes chips and what they call "reference drivers" which are fun to figure out. But my choice is to sketch out the plan then get the drivers for my motherboard from the motherboard maker.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?