Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

can some one please help me?!

by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 3:22 PM PDT

OK i don't know when i picked this crap up but Ive some how obtained a lot of unwanted tracking cookie. ( i cant think of any I would want any how..)My IE is always on and i cant turn it off, in the Task Manager There is always at least 3 different IExplorer.exe running and every time i hit end process on one another one starts!? And i think one of them is also slowing down the regular explorer as well because explorer.exe is eating up all my cpu power!? now Ive ran Spybot and it finds them and i select the ones i want to get rid of ( all of them ) and then it says its all good and there gone... but they keep coming back!?!? ***?!?! why wont these damn things go away? I'll give you a list of the ones that i have.

-Advertising
-Avenue A,Inc.
-CasaleMedia
-DoubleClick
-FastClick
-Hitbox
-Hitslink
-MediaPlex
-SexList
-WebTrends live

can some one please help me get rid of all these things, I would really appreciate it. thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can some one please help me?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can some one please help me?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Download Ad aware
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 3:34 PM PDT

and run that. It has a free version. Also, it will probably ask you to restart and delete most while it does so.

Paul

Collapse -
tried it.
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Download Ad aware

I have ad-aware, that didnt work either. it didnt even find the ones spybot found.

Collapse -
Virus?
by Y4 / June 24, 2006 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: tried it.

What Virus program are you running...if any?

Collapse -
Symantech Antivirus
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 3:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus?

this is what i guess im supposed to be running but i don think its loaded... or "on" but that doesnt really matter so much now... I know i should turn it on but i really just need to get rid of these things first. or something...I dont know... I was asking you guys for help..

Collapse -
Advice
by phantazy / June 24, 2006 3:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Symantech Antivirus

Use 1) Ewido, and then 2) AVG. Both free.

Collapse -
Kacation it does matter...
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 3:57 PM PDT

If you have a virus and no Anti-virus, what do you think is happening here? You left a door open and strangers are walking right in. Yes you are asking for help but with the (i don't know, or something, doesn't matter, attitude) isn't going to help us or you at all. You NEED to get rid of the virus that is causing this or your system will eventually be lost. You asked for help and we are TRYING to buy you are stuck on one track. <I don't mean this hurtfully you understand, but if you panic or don't listen to what we are Trying to tell you, it won't help at all.>

Paul

Collapse -
I have one
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 4:07 PM PDT

I just checked and it is loaded.. Im curnetly scanning but i hate this program becuase i know there is some thing wrong with my PC but it never picks anything up... it alwasys says " there where no viruses found " or something like that. of corse what I'd really like to know is where i can find the guy who made what ever it is that is messing up my PC so that I can beat the crap out of him!!! but thats not gonna happen. so now there is a new one already!

-GoldenPalaceCassinoStuff

why god! why do people do this?!
ok- but im right here with ya- what do you want me to do, im all ears- eyes.. whatever.

Collapse -
First of all...
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 4:11 PM PDT
In reply to: I have one

Don't panic. Typically it is recommended to disconnect from the internet but not sure if you know how to get rid of them. Let us know when the scan is complete.

Paul

Collapse -
ok.
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 4:18 PM PDT
In reply to: First of all...

I'd disconnect from the internet but then I'd be lost, i guess if i knew how to get rid of them I wouldnt be asking for help so... then no- i dont ... arrg. still scanning.

Collapse -
it's alright...
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 4:20 PM PDT
In reply to: ok.

It won't do you any good if you can't get rid of them, lol. Y4 has a good suggestion so stick with it and it'll clear up.

Paul

Collapse -
I noticed that last link was broken.....
by Y4 / June 24, 2006 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: I have one
Collapse -
ok
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 4:15 PM PDT

its running the install now.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good...run it, and hopefully this will fix you right up
by Y4 / June 24, 2006 4:17 PM PDT
In reply to: ok
Collapse -
I strongly suggest....
by Y4 / June 24, 2006 4:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
bad link
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 4:09 PM PDT
In reply to: I strongly suggest....

bad link

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks...I fixed it .....
by Y4 / June 24, 2006 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: bad link
Collapse -
@Y4
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 4:16 PM PDT

Think this is a Virus? Sounds like it's an open door, what do you think?

Paul

Collapse -
Virus
by Y4 / June 24, 2006 4:18 PM PDT
In reply to: @Y4

Several viruses install themselves as "iexplore.exe" to try and fool the operator. I'd almost guarantee that it's a virus.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 99.99% sure myself
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 4:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus
Collapse -
alright
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 4:22 PM PDT
In reply to: @Y4

My program is still scanning but the one you gave me a link to is already installed, scanned and finished. what now? hit "repair" ?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What was the find?
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: alright
Collapse -
abuch of stuff
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 4:27 PM PDT

a buch of stuff... even a bunch of stuff that was mine. like picture files and stuff. but there are alot of things that it wont let me get rid of because its not registered.

Collapse -
Get rid of everything that it picks up as a virus.
by Y4 / June 24, 2006 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: abuch of stuff

Sounds like a worm. They love to attach themselves to picture files, sadly enough.

Y4

Collapse -
Make sure...
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 4:44 PM PDT
In reply to: abuch of stuff
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes...hit repair
by Y4 / June 24, 2006 4:26 PM PDT
In reply to: alright
Collapse -
but
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 4:28 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Yes...hit repair

there are alot of thing in the list I dont want to get rid of... or are they infected?

Collapse -
Yes!
by Y4 / June 24, 2006 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: but

They are infected. Get rid of them....even if it hurts! LOL

Collapse -
OK if you need to reply :do it here lollll
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 4:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Download Ad aware

Got the feeling we will need it,lol.

Collapse -
my crapy one is done
by jerryarredondo / June 24, 2006 4:58 PM PDT

my crapy anti viruse program is finally done scanning... and of corse it found nothing.

Collapse -
Is it outdated?
by PKsteven / June 24, 2006 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: my crapy one is done

If it's outdated it may not find anything. I can't see it not finding anything if you do in fact have a virus. I thought from one of the posts you said the pc was loaded, you did mean with viruses didn't you? Symantic should have detected something. Do you do updates?

Paul

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!