Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Can some one help me ?

Hi to all.I have just bought a new pc.its a compaq with P 4 2.93 Ghz, 256 Mbs of ram, and it runs win xp pro. It has got SP1 loaded and I guess SP2 was automatically installed.I just installed the machine yesterday so I did not get any time to install any softwares on it.My pc currently does not have any antivirus, antispyware or security tools.I have read your excellent posts in this forum.I would like to thank all you guys here for helping us out.I think of installing ad-aware, spybot S & D, CWShredder, HijackThis, Winpatrol, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard on a priority basis. I will install AVG anti virus after this post. Is this much protection adequate ? I would like to know whether the softwares listed in some sites like spywareinfo.com and wilders.org are all legit and/or useful ? I have used the above mentioned softwares on my earlier comp which was working well. Well, can anybody advise me as to which firewall I should install. I am new to XP so I would appreciate your help as I dont know how to use system restore. Also I might get Norton System Works 2004 in a few days time. Is it all right to have multiple firewalls and anti-virus progs loaded ? thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can some one help me ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can some one help me ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi maverick_p

In reply to: Can some one help me ?

I have a couple of questions for you too. You said " I guess SP2 was automatically installed". I don't understand how you could guess on that but if it is a brand new computer, unless it has been sitting on the shelf at the store for quite a while it should have had SP2 already installed. I'm also confused as to why a brand new computer would only have 256MB of RAM. If you click on the start button, then right click on "My Computer" and choose properties, it should tell you what service pack and how much ram you have. Please let us know exactly what you have before we get to everything else in your post.

Collapse -
answers to some of your questions

In reply to: Hi maverick_p

hi roddy. I am positive about my SP1 because I got an old cd from a friend which did not have SP2 on it.It must have been a cd prior to release of SP2.So when I installed my pc, I kept it on windows update, which I reckon, must have installed SP2 as a critical update. I am, however, not sure about this. Thanks for bringing it to my mind. As regards your RAM query, I live in Mumbai, India. In our place almost all the machines have the same configurations and due to money constraints, I was not able to upgrade. I guess my pc config is one of the very latest ones here. But I am totally lost as I am handling XP for the first time ever. Please read my entire post and help me out, if you can. Thanks.

Collapse -
I'm afraid you are going to have bigger

In reply to: answers to some of your questions

problems because XP is meant for the computer it was originally put on and Microsoft considers it pirating to use somebody else's copy. I seriously doubt if you will get any windows updates including SP2 because of that. I do NOT know all the legal terms though.

Collapse -
I had some idea about that

In reply to: I'm afraid you are going to have bigger

Well I think its true what you say. But, in fact, all the updates I dowloaded from MS site went on without any problems. Also, while I installed some softwares like anti spyware, it verified the software and found it to be OK. After this it installed some genuine validation software or something which validated it. I installed that cd because I was told that a single cd can be used to install software 8 times and the manufacturers included dos in the original config. What am I supposed to do next ? Am I required to get another original cd ? As to your post, dyspyzthespyz, thanks for your suggestions.But as I already said, I have serious money constraints and I'd like not to spend many bucks on buying other devices. Is there any other cheaper alternative ? I mean, is a router necessary for dial-up ?

Collapse -
I mean, is a router necessary for dial-up

In reply to: I had some idea about that

frankly no.

on dial up you get a different IP # each time you connect, so the odds of you being targeted are quite slim.

in any event XP-SP-2 has it's own firewall and if you want additional protection try Kerio Personal Firewall, v. 2.1.5.

I have it enabled on my pc and it is very user freindly and two support forums.

go here, scroll to about the middle of the page and click on Kerio 2.1.5.

be sure to save it cause it has been discontinued although reputedly the most stable.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1.+Kerio+and+pre-v3.0+Tiny+PFW

Collapse -
yes, but...

In reply to: Can some one help me ?

everything seems adequate to your system. good protecion all around and good choices made by you, but one last suggestion if i may, install a router. they are fairly inexpensive (about 50USD for a good one) NAT enabled. most have a built in firewall adding further protection. routing your IP is a must these days, imo, to ensure that nasties and others will not see you, and you should remain invisible to the outside world. now don't get me wrong, you will not be 100% protected with it from hackers, lets say, as a determined one can get into almost any system in the world, but if you are invisible, you will be protected from the "kiddie" ones, and most others will not bother or waste their time on you. after one is installed, checking your ports is a must, you want to remain invisible, and not "blocked" or most certainly not opened in any way as blocked or open, you can be seen and a trojan, worm, can sneak their way in. some testing sites for your ports are below....

AuditmyPC- http://www.auditmypc.com/

Sygate online Services- http://scan.sygatetech.com/

Symantec Security Check- http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

ShildsUp (GRC)- https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.