HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

can repairing permissions cause trouble?

by qqqq88 / November 20, 2010 10:39 AM PST

I have a an old G4 running Mac 10.3.5 that I need to update to 10.3.9 to run a program. The machine has a long boot time so I'm worried it might die soon.

Anyways I am wondering if I should click "repair permissions" and/or "verify permissions" before I do the 10.3.9 combo update. Will this increase the chances that the 10.3.9 update will not cause problems? Or can repairing permissions itself cause trouble?
I have never repaired or verified permissions on this machine.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can repairing permissions cause trouble?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can repairing permissions cause trouble?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a good idea
by Jimmy Greystone / November 20, 2010 12:09 PM PST

It's a good idea to do if it hasn't been done in a while. Small side story. Work as a repair tech for Apple systems, so I keep an external drive with a bootable OS on it. One time I was going to install the update on that drive, and it kept failing. So I ran a quick repair disk operation on it, and it found some issues, probably from the times I was "bad" and pulled the drive before fully ejecting it. After that, the update installed fine.

If you run a verify disk operation, it may come back saying it can't complete. At which case you pretty much know the drive is done for.

Collapse -
question
by qqqq88 / November 21, 2010 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: It's a good idea

Thanks. So Jimmy if that update had kept failing on the machine's internal drive(instead of the external like in your situation), would you have still been able to boot up the machine? what would you have done if not?
I'm trying to do everything I can to prepare for something going wrong with my combo update. Besides backups, repairing and verifying permissions, I am wondering if there is anything else I should do to be ready for a problem.
And thank you to mrmacfixit for the other helpful replies.

Collapse -
Not really
by Jimmy Greystone / November 21, 2010 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: question

Not really. You've pretty much done all you can. Backups are the main thing, so even in the worst case scenario of having to reinstall, you don't lose that.

And since I'm responding anyway, I'll also say that you can go back and forth in a point counterpoint debate for the HDD lifespan thing. For every point on one side or the other, there's at least one counterpoint on the opposite side. Pick one and stick with it. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

Collapse -
As stated, always a good idea
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 11:11 PM PST

to repair permissions before applying an update to the OS.

In your case, a slow boot "could" indicate a failing HD, hence the suggestion that you verify the HD while you are in disk utility.

Because it is your boot disk, Disk Utility will not be able to repair any problems, if any, it finds with the drive so you will have to boot from an external source, the OS X installation disk, and run the Disk Utility that is on the installation disk.

If DU cannot repair the disk, it is time to consider a replacement drive. Nothing over 120GB though.

P

Collapse -
ok thanks
by qqqq88 / November 21, 2010 6:23 AM PST

so which should I click first, repairing or verifying permissions? Do they both need to be done from the installation disk?

Also, as far as replacement internal hard drives, is there a website similar to crucial.com(for RAM) which will scan your machine and tell you which hard drives are compatible etc.?

Collapse -
hard drive lifespan
by qqqq88 / November 21, 2010 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: ok thanks

one other question about preserving the hard drive's lifespan; is it best to put it to sleep or turn it off as much as possible? Or leave it running all the time? It'd seem it'd be best to put it to sleep but I've heard that the process of the hard drive firing back up is what puts stress on it.

Collapse -
Repair permissions first
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 21, 2010 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: ok thanks

then verify the disk.
You can repair permissions from the internal drive but you cannot repair the HD from the internal drive.

After you verify the HD from the Disk Utility on the HD, if there are any problems you will need to use the installation disk to run DU from there after you have booted from the installation disk.

As for the sleeping question. Seems to be a matter of personal taste.

I have my iMac running 24/7, as was the G4 I had before this, and set it to go to sleep after an hour of inactivity.

All IDE hard drives are compatible with your machine. Make sure you do not purchase a SATA drive. This will not fit your machine unless you purchase a PCI card to go with it.
Stick to IDE, sometimes known as PATA, for your drive.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.