General discussion

Can Pelosi do this?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can Pelosi do this?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can Pelosi do this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sure...

but she won't be Speaker of the House any more. House Minority Leader, if they don't wise up and can her .

- Collapse -
She certainly can

but, IMO, it would be wise for her to lay low for a bit since she was apparently named as the reason so many voted against her party. Even good people are known to graciously step down if their name becomes associated with a negative event.

- Collapse -
Wow!

I didn't know this, I just always thought the Speaker was from the majority! Thanks guy's Happy

- Collapse -
The speaker is from the majority

Nancy is now a minority. Wink

- Collapse -
Th eSpeake IS always from the majorityh party...

She won't be the Speaker. She wants to be MINORITY Leader.
Bet she doesn't get it.

- Collapse -
I believe Pelosi will get it

Do not under estimate the power of Democrats to shoot themselves in the foot, both of them, twice.

- Collapse -
I doubt it and I hope not

Rightly or wrongly she became the face of what people didn't like about the Democratic Congress. The Speaker tends to get thrown under the bus when there's a change of power, sometimes more deservedly than others.

Her decision to run for Minority Leader is already ruffling feathers in her own party. My opinion is that she shouldn't have done it.

- Collapse -
Rightly or wrongly?

Sorry, but she's been crazy to me since I saw her first appearance on TV as Speaker of the House.

I didn't vote for Obama, but I was willing to see what would happen. But she's been a mad dog character since I first learned her name. I dislike her more than I do John Kerry. When he ran for president, he became my all-time politician to dislike. I said I would vote for a constitutional amendment to let Bill Clinton serve again and vote for him rather than have Kerry in the White House.

Pelosi though has irritated, and frightened even, since she took the position.

- Collapse -
Which is why I want her to stay...

The Republicans' best friend!

- Collapse -
Pelosi is still Speaker of the House

...until the new congress is sworn in and seated and choose a new Speaker of the House. Pelosi can then be the Minority Leader for her party the Democrats, if they will still let her be THEIR leader.

- Collapse -
Question on procedure

will Pelosi preside over the meeting of the new Congress until the vote for a new speaker is taken, counted, and official?

- Collapse -
I think so
- Collapse -
Would you wan't want Pelosi forced to

hand you hammer she so covets? Devil

- Collapse -
No

I might be tempted to use it immediately.

- Collapse -
Thanks, there were couple of odd tidbits there

like there is not constitutional requirement that the Speaker of the House currently be member of the house. That was a surprise.

Also a surprise that a Congressman had ever voted for the opposition party's candidate, although it sounds like only once.

Just as big of a surprise there was that his party could strip him of seniority. No surprise the PTB could refuse to appoint him to committees. Not sure what good "seniority" in the House is if you're blackballed from committee appointments anyway. Or maybe that's what being stripped of seniority in this case means.

- Collapse -
I'm one that deeply objects to "house rules"

such as "seniority". They become a means to say "incumbents rule" and therefore encourage states to keep voting their person in so he may gain or retain "seniority" and therefore gain more power which will benefit their state more, such as Kennedy in Massachusetts, before he died. It says that when each Congress opens, some recently elected already have more power and privileges there than others, even though they all arrived there for that Congress based not on previous elections, but the latest only. I think the only ones with standing enough before the courts would be state governors to sue to have such seniority rule overturned as unconstitutional.

- Collapse -
(NT) why is this a stickie???
- Collapse -
(NT) stickie?....What stickie?

CNET Forums

Forum Info