Question

can OSX read an external drive with data formatted in XP?

I have an external XP formatted drive filled with data stored from a PC that is now deceased. My office replacement machine runs Windows7 and can't read the drive. I know Mac is more sophisticated than Windows. I have an IMAC running Snow Leopard. Is there any chance I can read and save these docs? I have Microsoft Office running on my Mac.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: can OSX read an external drive with data formatted in XP?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: can OSX read an external drive with data formatted in XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Yes

Yes, and it's iMac not IMAC. I know it's kind of obnoxious with the leading lowercase i, but I didn't make it up.

In any case, OS X has native read-only support for NTFS, and full read-write support for FAT12/16/32 and ExFAT (sometimes known as FAT64).

- Collapse -

Thanks for the info. I'm not a techie, and to tell you the truth, iMac or IMAC doesn't matter to me either. However as long as you said it should be able to read the drive, Can I assume I can save the data to either the internal drive or another external drive?

- Collapse -
(NT) Yes, to both your questions
- Collapse -
Answer
As Jimmy said, but,

given that your Windows 7 machine cannot read the drive, it could be that the drive may be defective.

Do not be surprised if the iMac cannot do so either.

P

- Collapse -

I hope you are wrong. I'll test the drive later today.

CNET Forums