Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can open sites with Netscape but not IE

by richpatrol / November 30, 2004 9:16 PM PST

For some reason I can't open all sites with IE. For example when I go to a shopping site and then hit the link to sign on I get the can't find server page. I can't open my e-mail or hotmail sites. Got tired of this and finially loaded Netscape and all works great with Netscape. It seems so much easier to use too, but that is not the point. I have tried changing my Internet settings but nothing seems to work. I have tried every setting I can think of but nothing works. I can't even open up my hotmail link with MS Internet Explorer but can with Netscape. I am running XP Home on a laptop. I also have XP Pro on a desktop and no problem there. I tried setting the settings the same as the desktop but nothing. I thought it might be something to do with the wireless hub I was running it through but tried running it directly into the broadband with out the hub and still the same. I guess I can just switch over to Netscape which I basically have but still this bugs me and I would like to know why. Anyone know?
Thanks
Rich

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can open sites with Netscape but not IE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can open sites with Netscape but not IE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can open sites with Netscape but not IE
by glb613 / November 30, 2004 9:41 PM PST

Are you running a firewall? If so, check your settings and make sure you have allowed IE to access the internet.

Collapse -
by Yew / November 30, 2004 9:58 PM PST

My guess would be what seems to be the stock answer for all IE problems lately... Spyware. Ie is a giant magnet for the garbage, and if you're even a few days late installing some new IE patch, it's possible for someone to have something floating about the web looking for unpatched IE browser users. Like the latest IFRAME (bofra) exploit for IE, which is still unpatched for all but XP SP2 users.

IE basically isn't safe to use any longer, so your best bet would be to use another browser. Personally, I don't use anything Netscape anymore, but the more actively developed Mozilla, which is what Netscape branded products are based on anyway. In particular I've come to like Mozilla Firefox. Immune to virtually all types of spyware (that come in via the browser), fewer security problems, faster turnaround times when there is a security issue found, it's free, and it has AdBlock (http://adblock.mozdev.org). AdBlock is the whole reason I don't use Safari on my Mac. It will change your life when it comes to web browsing.

Collapse -
by richpatrol / December 3, 2004 12:57 PM PST

Need to check for spyware, and also will check my firewalls and see if that is the problem as sounds like it could be. If I find the problem will let you know.
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.