Question

Can only get blank screen with blinking cursor at the top

I have an acer laptop with windows vista. Last week I got a warning from my computer that I had a trojan. So I opened up malware and started to do a scan on my computer. I left for about an hour or two. When I came back the screen was black with white cursor blinking at top of page. I have had the virus that gives you fake messages that make you think you have a virus alot lately but I just use restore points to get rid of them. F8 is not working so I cannot open in safe mode. The only thing I can get is system settings by pressing F2 but am not knowledgeable enough to do anyting here. My laptop did not come with a recovery disk. What can I do to fix this?
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can only get blank screen with blinking cursor at the top
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can only get blank screen with blinking cursor at the top
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Those Acers let you create those restore media.

If you didn't do that, then try ordering a set from ACER.COM Very few machines come with restore media.

These viruses can cause deep enough damage that you get to reload the machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Is there any other way I can try to repair this?

I do not want to lose all of my information on the hard drive. Is there somewhere online that I can make a boot disk or something?

- Collapse -
Absolutely.

We use those no-install bootable CDs from ubuntu to copy our stuff out. We can also replace the drive, install to the new drive and add the old drive to copy out our stuff.

Many solutions!
Bob

- Collapse -
do i need to change the order of way computer boots to use

do i need to change the order of the way the computer boots to use boot disk in cd-rom drive? Also, I have an external Hard drive that I could use, should I store the information there? Do the bootable cd's from ubuntu step you through the process of retreving the files I need? Since I cannot access safe mode or the other options by pressing F8 is there another way to get to the safe mode?

- Collapse -
Also, question about ubuntu

I am downloading the ubuntu software right now. This is a huge file 656mb. I could not find anywhere on the site to download a no install boot disk. Am I doing the right thing here?

- Collapse -
The ubuntu boot CD is also known as a live CD.

Since we can run from CD no install is required. It boots and runs from CD without installing.

Sorry but if you can not change the boot order or select the boot device you may have to consider a shop counter.
Bob

- Collapse -
I am able to change my boot order.

So, ubuntu is another operating system? Does ubuntu have any utilities that can go in and check my system for errors?

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I think you may need to arrange for a shop counter. This sort of live cd to get our files out is usually not much trouble but it appears you need professional help.

The advice I offered is one I've given for years. Please read http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm That was over SEVEN years ago and given your replies I fear this is not for you.

Let's stop before you toast your files by accident.
Bob

- Collapse -
Oh sorry I was not implying that I doubted your advice

I read the posts from seven years ago. I just got confused when I went to ubuntu site. I was thinking that I would be able to see the files on my hard drive from this OS and then copy them to a external hard drive or disc. Since ubuntu is an OS I thought it may have some utilities in it too scan the hard drive but like you said I would not want to toast my files. I already tryed to burn it to a disk with image burner but the cd did not have enough space on it so it did not work anyway. I was going to go tomorrow and buy a cd that had more space or USB storage device. Now I am not so sure. I guess I am trying to avoid going to best buy.

- Collapse -
Something is still a miss.

The usual ubuntu fits easily onto common 700MB CDR.

While we know this stuff works, I fear that something is lost here. And why it may be time to seek a local service counter.
Bob

CNET Forums