Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can only change screen resolution in safe mode

OS Windows XP
Plug and Play monitor
NVidia GeForce4 MX 420

Thanks in advance for any help on this. I am on my old computer since my laptop died and I am now having trouble with this one. The other day I downloaded some windows updates and then used system restore to go back a few days previous, and I downloaded and installed the new firefox. I then decided to restart the computer and upon restarting chkdsk ran (which is odd since I'm pretty sure I had never set it to run) and corrected errors and deleted some files and said something about 21 bad sectors corrected. I'm not sure what all it did, but now I cannot change my resolution from 800x600 and 4bit color quality in normal mode, but I can in safe mode (and it is automatically set at 32bit quality in safe mode). Also, when I try to play music in safe mode I get a bad DirectSound driver error (error code 88780078) and it does not play (sound plays fine in normal mode). Videos don't work in either mode, but I can still hear them in normal mode. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can only change screen resolution in safe mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can only change screen resolution in safe mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
downloaded some ....

In reply to: Can only change screen resolution in safe mode

windows updates...then went back a few days with shstem restore...that means you no longer have the updates... Then you downloaded and installed the new [latest] version of Firefox.....and found you have problems. Try (1) Uninstall Firefox, or (2) Get the Windows updates and install, the new Firefox.

Collapse -
You cannot change

the resolution in safe mode because the video drivers have not been loaded , , You might be able to change the dpi setting and have something to work with. .

Collapse -
Problem solved (sort of)

Hey, thanks for the replies. I think I fixed at least one problem. By uninstalling and reinstalling my display adapter I now have my screen resolution back in normal mode and I can play video again. What I really would like to know, though, is what all chkdsk deleted. Is there a log saved somewhere from when it ran?

Collapse -
Chkdisk files

In reply to: Problem solved (sort of)

Hi Candy17 I think you will find the files on your C:\ drive labled filechk0001 it saves for you to look at before deletion hop this might help. Smurk

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.