Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Can one get a new desktop with XP?

by greatcom / December 5, 2011 6:06 AM PST

I have a six-year old Dell desktop that is maxed out in RAM, HD and expansion slots at just 1 GB. I love it otherwise. I have two laptops that are much newer, with Vista, and hate them. I have thought of buying a new desktop with W7, but it will soon be made obsolete by W8, and I'm not interested in touch screen. As for W7, I see companies all around me that have stayed on XP, and even my wife's college has elected to do so. So, why change to W7 and screw up ten years of window documents? My wife's college has its own tech department that converts even the newest machines back to XP, but I'm told I can't buy a nice new desktop with 8 GB of RAM, a 2T hard drive and the latest processor...running XP. Is that true? Am I wrong to want one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can one get a new desktop with XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can one get a new desktop with XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Odd. Documents are screwed up by apps, not OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 6:14 AM PST

But let's ask this. Will refurbs do here?

And there are problems with XP on 8GB RAM. But I have a feeling you know that.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Well, here's your XP Workstation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 10:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Did not know
by greatcom / December 5, 2011 10:20 AM PST

I didn't know that you could have too much RAM for a given OS. In the notification section of my toolbar I now often get an icon of a little green box which says something like "CPU fully used", and stuff that used to take a second (like opening and closing stuff) can take 10 seconds or more. That is what made me think I needed more RAM. Thanks for any suggestions.

Collapse -
Most have XP 32 bit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Did not know

My bet is that workstation is XP 64 Pro.

Collapse -
Answer
Why Is 8 GB Of RAM Needed...?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 6:41 AM PST

For most users, 1 or 2 GB of RAM work fine on XP and even for gamers, most use no more than 4 GB on a 32 bit version of XP.. So, to answer your question, YES, you can get a new desktop with XP installed, but there will be enough problems getting it done that you'll need to have it custom made.. Go to a local shop and tell them your request.. They'll let you know... They should be able to do it for you by purchasing hardware which is still compatible with XP.. The trick is finding XP compatible hardware for all things like motherboard, processor, video, audio, etc. All the custom stuff will come at a cost..

Recognize that it will need XP compatible drivers along with everything else, but it should be possible.

Factor this in as well..... You'll also want to be aware that XP will no longer be supported nor receive security updates in about 2 years.. Microsoft has indicated the end of support will be in 2014.

Of course, it's not quite clear why you have a problem with Windows 7.. As each one of our XP computers dies, we replace it with a Win7 model and so far, none of our users have indicated a real problem getting used to it. At this point in time, Windows 7 is our computer of choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Apology
by greatcom / December 5, 2011 9:48 AM PST

I'm afraid my ignorance is deep. I presumed that the slowness of my computer was due to lack of RAM. I do know about msconfig, and have kept start up programs to just security. But a little green box appears on the lower right which tells me that my CPU is maxed out, and everything which used to happen instantaneously (like opening or closing a document) takes 10-20 seconds. Should I be looking for my problem elsewhere?

I do not play games. I simply answer e-mails and edit and print photos. I have an external 1T drive, which is about 75% full, and I can always add another. I also have a lot of programs, which I try to thin out, but I 'm not always sure what I'm erasing from looking at the list in the Control panel.

Collapse -
At first the next link may seem off topic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Apology

I hope you can read 7723-6122_102-510824.html
and see where we pop the hood and go
find the conflicting software that was slowing
down the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
And Just In Case There's Malware Involved...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 6, 2011 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Apology

Please download, install, update, then run BOTH of the free malware removal tools from the links below. Delete anything they find.:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

And after that, see if these steps will help also.. First, clean out the files from the C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temp folder and from the Temporary Internet Files folder. Once that's done, then run Chkdsk\Error Checking per the instructions in the link below..

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

And once that's done, try toggling the IDE-DMA settings using the instructions in this link. Be sure to toggle the settings even if they look right.:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Or use the script in the link below to simply reset the DMA settings automatically.

RESET DMA ARTICLE WITH SCRIPT
http://winhlp.com/node/10

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.