Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Can one copy of vista be run on 2 computers?

by ZombiesNJ / January 30, 2007 1:19 AM PST

MS operating system
I am considering upgrading to MS Vista the new windows operating system.
? How should I or what would I have to do to delete MS XP followed by installing Vista.
? If I Delete XP Do I have to buy the complete new Vista or Can I still buy the upgrade version??

MS Office 2007

I have office 2000 on my PC I read I should delete the old software and save the files ..
If I delete MS office 2000 Do I have to buy the full version or the upgrade ??

Do you know if you can load the software on more than one PC ??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can one copy of vista be run on 2 computers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can one copy of vista be run on 2 computers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answers...
by John.Wilkinson / January 30, 2007 3:44 AM PST

1.) No...You must purchase one copy of Vista for every computer you wish to run the operating system on, as stated in the licensing agreement.

2.) You can simply install Vista, overwriting Windows XP. Note, however, that in that case you would also lose all of your personal files, e-mails, etc. so you should back up anything you can't afford to lose first.

3.) The upgrader's edition of Vista can only be used to upgrade from Windows XP to Vista...you cannot use it to perform a clean installation. Thus, if you uninstall/remove XP from your computer you would be unable to install Vista until after you reinstall XP.

4.) You can actually have multiple versions of Microsoft Office installed simultaneously, though to avoid confusion and potential conflicts it's a good idea to uninstall 2000 first.

5.) You can use the upgrader's edition of Microsoft Office 2007, but keep in mind that you will not be permitted to install your copy of Windows 2000 afterwards. The same goes for Windows...once you upgrade from XP to Vista your copy of XP will be invalidated. Thus, you will be the proud new owner of Vista and Office 2007, but no longer the proud owner of XP and Office 2000. The only way to avoid this is to purchase the full versions of Windows and Office.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
(NT) thanks
by ZombiesNJ / January 30, 2007 7:25 PM PST
In reply to: Answers...
Collapse -
What if....
by christy / January 30, 2007 7:41 PM PST
In reply to: Answers...

...I upgrade from XP to Vista, then want to revert to XP, am I allowed to reformat and reinstall XP, and activate ?

What difference does it make for OEM version (self install, i.e. not bound to Mother board or BIOS), and full retail pack of origional installation of XP ? TIA.

christy

Collapse -
No...
by John.Wilkinson / January 31, 2007 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: What if....

This has changed somewhat from previous versions where you could upgrade to XP then reformat and go back to ME. It recently came out that if you upgrade from XP to Vista your XP key is actually permanently deactivated, so you are more or less stuck with Vista. Your only option would be to contact Microsoft technical support and try to explain the situation and see if they would grant you some latitude, which they have in the past on motherboard replaements under the XP license, but it's luck of the draw. I believe that Microsoft has refused official comment on this one thus far, so it may be something that they may change. (They already changed the Vista licensing agreement concerning transfer of license to other computers due to negative feedback from the general public.) Until they make an official statement and 'set it in stone' I'd stay on the safe side and assume you'll be waving goodbye to XP forever.

As to OEM vs retail, it's basically the same as it was with XP...OEM lacks technical support from Microsoft and is permanently locked to a single motherboard. However, it is cheaper than the full retail version and does not negate your XP license, so it should see a lot of attention from would-be upgraders.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?