Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can not view websites.

by gcjc5 / March 16, 2009 12:08 PM PDT

I have a Dell XPS 400. Running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002, service pack 3. Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz,2.79 GHz, 1.00 GB Ram Physical Address Extension. Windows is fully updated. I am running AVG free edition antivirus. I am connected to the internet through a Westell versalink router model 327w, from Verizon DSL. I can connect to the internet just fine but I can't view any websites. What could be the problem? When I boot the computer up everything starts up down at the clock area just fine. MSN Messenger will connect and sign in and tell me I have mail but when I click on the link to go to the mailbox it won't pull it up. Yahoo Messenger will not sign in at all. If I go directly to Internet Explorer or Firefox it will not pull up any websites. I have File Hippo update checker installed and it starts and says I have 14 updates available and when I click on the icon to bring it up it will not go to the website that the updates are on. I have done at least 3 system restores, Disk Cleaned and Defragmented (I do that everyday) I have Ccleaner installed and have used it to clean things up as well. I have even gone to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and found that the Wired AutoConfig was not started so I started it and the first time I did that I could view websites again but when I logged off for the night then came back the next day I couldn't view websites any longer. I tried that move again and no luck this time. I am able to get windows updates through the Help and Support link in the start menu. I am of course writing this on my other computer connected wirelessly through the same router and this and all the rest of my computers will connect and work just fine. And yes I have tried to connect this one wirelessly also and still no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can not view websites.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can not view websites.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you say that ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 16, 2009 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Can not view websites.
"I can connect to the internet just fine but I can't view any websites." what exactly are you saying?

Do you mean that you can use FTP and/or email through a POP3 client but that http is not working? that is sort of the impression I am getting.

If that is correct, it sounds like you may have an LSP (Layered Service Provider) problem that is most often caused by an improper removal of internet software or malware.

Go to this site and download and run the LSPFIX utility -
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Collapse -
Can not see websites
by gcjc5 / March 17, 2009 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: When you say that ...

Thanks I'll try that. But, here the thing I don't use pop3 email clients. I use web based email from Verizon/Yahoo. Everytime I try to go to a website I can not pull up the html. Can't see any kind of web page. As I think I said before I can't even pull up the Westell Gateway site to see if my connection is up or down. Although I still have an Internet Connection. The handshake is there.

Collapse -
Up on LSPfix
by gcjc5 / March 17, 2009 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: When you say that ...

I tried LSPfix and it came back No Problems Found. Any other things I could try?

Collapse -
Another thought would be that possibly you ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 17, 2009 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Up on LSPfix

have blocked port 80 with your firewall (just guessing here as no one knows whether you have a firewall or not).

What happens if you install the Opera Web Browser?

What happens if you open a command prompt and type tracert www.microsoft.com then press the enter/return key?

What IP number is assigned to your computer (open that command prompt and type ipconfig[/]b then press the enter/return key)? If the address is in the same range as the other computers it should be OK but if it is in the IP address range from 169.254.01 to 169.254.255.254 it is probably using APIPA (automatic addressing if a DHCP server isn't found) and thus not connecting to the net.

You might also try the MSIE repair option available through the Control Panel's Add/Remove applications applet where you select to remove MSIE and you will get an option to repair it.

Collapse -
Another thought
by gcjc5 / March 18, 2009 1:20 AM PDT

Edward, I downloaded the Opera Browser and it worked. Why? Why does the Opera Browser work and IE and Firefox doesn't? In fact I'm writing this on the broken pc now. I have not restarted the pc yet so I wonder if it will still work after a restart?

Collapse -
I don't know why Opera works BUT ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 18, 2009 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Another thought

you haven't responded about any firewall you might be using and it could well be that you have allowed your firewall to block the other browsers.

Did you try to repair MSIE as I suggested?

Collapse -
I don't know why Opera Works But,
by gcjc5 / March 19, 2009 1:36 AM PDT

I have Windows Firewall that comes with XP enabled and is set to allow exeptions. Nothing has changed in the firewall from the time I could view websites and the time I couldn't. I'll check that again though. And yes, I did try to repair MSIE I assume that stands for MicroSoft Internet Explorer. I went to Add/Remove and to Internet Explorer and click on it and it did not give me any options, to repair or remove. I did while online with the Opera browser I did update Internet explorer to the newer version 8 and still can't view websites with IE. I also did the same with Firefox and still the same thing. I thought the updates might fix things. MSN Messenger will still sign in but Yahoo Messenger will not. This is kind of weird. Seems like there is just a simple on/off switch that needs to be flipped so to speak to make things work again. I just don't know what that switch might be.

Collapse -
Cannot load html.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 17, 2009 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Up on LSPfix

In addition to Edward's suggestions, can your browsers download and display https pages? They are the secure version of http.

If yes, is Internet Explorer set to use a Proxy connection?

Mark

Collapse -
Can naot load html
by gcjc5 / March 17, 2009 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Cannot load html.

No it can not load any web page from anywhere whether secure or not. IE is not set to use proxy connectons. I don't think it was set up that way to begin with.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!