Question

Can not see pictures in folder Please Help

I have a folder on my external hard drive that when I click on it to see the pictures I get a message that says:

"This Folder Is Empty"

Yet before I enter the folder, if I right click on it it and go to "Properties" and under "General"

it says there are: 2,036 Files and 74 Folders.

Total size: 12.4GB

It is from a back up I did over a year ago and there are family photos in it I really want to see, my grandfather passed away Friday and I know I have pictures I would like to print for family.

Why can't I see whats in the Folder on my external Harddrive? I

s there a way for me to recover them?

THANKS!!!!!!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can not see pictures in folder Please Help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can not see pictures in folder Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Format it

your hard drive may have been damaged, the only way to restore it back soon

- Collapse -
Answer
Do Not Foramt the drive

I would try to see into the drive from a different computer but in no instance ever take the urge to format as the data will be gone. Since it is "my external hard drive", it could be several reasons for this to happen. Since no mention of how these pictures came to be on the hard drive, other than "It is from a back up" please explain. It could be as simple as the method or software used to place the data on the external drive.

- Collapse -
That's Bad Advice

Do not format the drive.

If you do, all pictures and data on that drive will be lost, possibly forever.

Try accessing it on another computer.

- Collapse -
Back Up

I backed the photos from "My Computer" to the external hard drive by copy and pasting the entire folder and it's contents to the external hard drive.

The contents of the folder were viewable and accessable several times in the past but this time when I tried to access it it says "This Folder Is Empty"

But before entering the folder if I right click on it, the properties says that it has 2,036 Files and 74 Folders...

I tried to access it on my laptop and got the same results....

CNET Forums