Computer Help forum

Question

Can not install OS

I'm at my wits end. I have this computer that I built about 3 years ago and it gets used maybe a few hours a week. About 5 days ago I was online and it just locked up so I had to manually shut it down. When I tried to boot up again, I got a warning that I needed to run the chkdsk. So I did and it ran for about 3 hours and then finally said it ran out of disk space which I can't believe because the HD had about 240GB free space on it. I've tested and even replaced the PS, memory and even disconnected the 2nd CD and the floppy still with no luck. So I decided to install a new HD. I installed XP Home and it ran great until I had to reboot after installing the MB chipset drivers. Then I started getting the Delayed Write error and locking up. I then tried to reformat and now it tells me the HD is damaged just like the old one.

Ok, has anyone had this happen to them and how did you finally get the computer to work again? I've been building computers for about 25 years now and this one is just racking my brain.

System Info:
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 ver. 1
Kingston 1GB memory
WD 320GB HD
Thermaltake PSU
XP Home SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can not install OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can not install OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
There are few known causes of this.

In reply to: Can not install OS

Over the years I've found this to be caused by bad ide cables, old noisy power supplies, BAD CAPS, incorrect BIOS settings (try defaults) and not much else.
Bob

Collapse -
Re

In reply to: There are few known causes of this.

I forgot to mention that these are SATA HD's but then I guess they could go bad also. The Bios settings are set to what
it was shipped so I guess it would be default. The only thing I changed in the Bios was the boot order. All the timing and
voltage settings for the memory were already good so I didn't have to change them.

Collapse -
XP and SATA. Good clue.

In reply to: Re

Given the XP SATA problems, please reveal to the forum how you gave XP SATA support. Also, we know that such problems exist in XP and XP SP1. Let's how the install CD is XP SP2 or later.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:SATA

In reply to: XP and SATA. Good clue.

Bob, I do not understand your XP SATA support question but if you're asking how I got it to work, I just installed the SATA hard drives. The XP Home CD comes with the SP2 version. Before the computer crashed, I was running SP3 but that was updated through MS.

Collapse -
It's an old issue.

In reply to: Re:SATA

If the BIOS defaults to IDE emulation then you didn't have to do a thing. But details are a little slim so I asked.

Try this. Look at the drive and see if it has a jumper to pull the SATA speed back to SATA 1.x speeds. Some machines corrupt with the high speed.
Bob

Collapse -
SATA Jumpers

In reply to: It's an old issue.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I just finished building a new box and installed everything last night.

As for the SATA HD's Jumpers, there are none set as it comes from the factory but it does say this about the jumpers you can set.

Jumpers 1 & 2 Enable SSC (Spread Spectrum Clocking)
Jumpers 5 & 6 Enable SATA 150MB/s only operation

If I'm reading that correctly, jumping 5&6 would cut the speed in half from the 3GB the drive is at default.
The thing is the computer worked flawlessly for over 3 years at the 3GB setting.

What's your take on this?

Collapse -
"It worked before."

In reply to: SATA Jumpers

I understand what you wrote but if it's failing now we can use tricks folk have learned to pull it back into operation without changing motherboards, power supplies or such.
Bob

Collapse -
tricked computer

In reply to: "It worked before."

So are you saying that I should try the 5&6 jumper and see if that works?

Something else that just hit me was when I was trying to install some drivers when I first installed the OS on the 'new' HD from a CD that I made with all the updated drivers, it would read the contents of the CD but would not install any of them saying that the files were corrupt. I'll also see if I have another IDE ribbon
and exchange it for the one that's in there. I know you suggested that in the beginning but it didn't cross
my mind because we were talking HD's. Could a bad IDE cable going to a CD/DVD device cause the HD's
to go bad? I'm sorry that I didn't think of it before, I guess too many other things running through my mind.

Collapse -
Always your choice.

In reply to: tricked computer

I'll share my usual workarounds and hope you can choose to try or dismiss such. As to the IDE cables, yes, such things can cause bad reads.
Bob

Collapse -
Trying suggestions

In reply to: Always your choice.

Ok Bob, I found both a new cable for the CD and also the Floppy just in case. I'll install those first before trying the jumper on the HD. If the new cables don't work, then I'll try the jumper.

Collapse -
Tried but failed

In reply to: Trying suggestions

I changed the IDE ribbon and then started the XP setup. First thing I did was to delete all partitions
and then made a new partition to install XP. Tried to format NTSF in the new partition and it said it could not format because the disk is damaged. I then jumped pins 5&6 on the HD to slow it down and did the same as before in setup and still it says the disk is damaged. I do have another new HD but am afraid that it may ruin that one also.

Collapse -
Tried 2 more

In reply to: Tried but failed

Well, I finally decided to try and install XP on a brand new HD and guess what, it also failed
to format saying that the disk was damaged. So there must be something else wrong with the
computer like the MB or CPU or something. I think it may be time to tear this one down.

Collapse -
You looked ant the jumpers BUT ...

In reply to: SATA Jumpers

you seem to have missed -
"If the BIOS defaults to IDE emulation then you didn't have to do a thing. But details are a little slim so I asked."

Bob noted that because Windows XP does not provide native SATA drivers. Either the BIOS has to be set to emulate IDE for the SATA drives OR you, the OS installer, must provide the drivers (usually on a floppy) during the installation of the OS when the installation screen prompts you to press F6 and provide drivers for the storage media.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Answer Unknown

The answer to my problems was never found although much help was given. I built a new computer and used the
same hard drives that were in the old computer and was able to format and install XP. There were no problems with
the hard drives at all so the problem must be in the MB or CPU. I even used the same cables also.

I just wanted to let everyone know what the outcome was and say Thank you to those of you who helped out.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Bad caps

This is know issue for this mainboard. The disk controller gives errors which you can see under "event viewer". Firstly Intel SATA ports give up so temporary the GSATA ports can be used.

The cause: Look for bad caps around CPU. They will be vented open. Just replace all large caps even if they do not look bad and you good to go.
Not all problems can be solved by software Wink

Collapse -
Re: Bad caps

In reply to: Bad caps

It's funny that you post this now, I just happened to install the board and was trying to figure out what was wrong. It may
take a while for me to change out the caps but I'll try it out and let you know. Thanks for the input.

Collapse -
Bad caps

In reply to: Re: Bad caps

Collapse -
Bad caps

In reply to: Bad caps

Thanks, I'll check everything out.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.