Computer Help forum

Alert

Can not host any server on anything at all (Need help)

by jimfrank192 / August 28, 2014 4:26 PM PDT

It all came to my attention recently that i have been unable to host servers for any game for awhile.

A few months ago i was playing co-op Portal 2 until we reached a point where we could no longer connect to each other. I just thought something went wrong and disregarded it. That was only the start.

I have always had my ports forwarded and have been able to host servers perfectly fine for as long as i can remember.
But after a series of annoyances i now understand what is happening.

1) Portal 2: Could not do co-op.

2) Tried to host an Anno 2070 server, friend's connection would time out. Disregarded due to thinking servers had been shut down,

3) Modded Minecraft server, friend's connections failed. Disregarded thinking it may be the mod.

4) Modded Mount and Blade server. Could not connect. Disregarded

5) New game i just bought World in Conflict. Forwarded ports, friends connection timed out. FED UP.

6) Finally experimented with a tried and true server. Tried to host a Mount and Blade Native server. When my friend was unable to connect i knew what was wrong.

For some reason i am no longer able to host ANYTHING. My ports have been forwarded correctly. But when i went onto a Port checker it said they were still blocked. I dont know what has happened and i dont know what to do.

My IPv4 to which the ports are forwarded has stayed the same and has not changed. Everything is how it should be but it does not work. My firewall is allowing access to all of it.

If anyone is able to. please please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can not host any server on anything at all (Need help)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can not host any server on anything at all (Need help)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try it without forwarding?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2014 1:45 AM PDT

That is, we can always try putting the server's IP into the DMZ.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by jimfrank192 / August 29, 2014 8:55 AM PDT

I removed on of the ports and yes, the port is still closed which is expected.

Its like something is currently blocking all my ports that are opened

Collapse -
Then it's an ISP issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2014 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Given how putting it into the DMZ works, it's clearly an ISP blockade.

Now having written that, once in a while a member will write they did as asked but didn't.
Bob

Collapse -
DMZ?
by jimfrank192 / August 29, 2014 9:55 AM PDT

im sorry but i dont know what the DMZ is. All i know is that everything was working fine until all my ports are blocked.

Strangely my internet service has been phenomenal and i seem to be getting 60 mb/s on speedtest which is much more than usual.

Collapse -
It's where we can put a server without blocks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2014 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: DMZ?

It's in most routers. If I need to point it out in your router manual, I'd need to know make, model, version, etc. Of you can just share a link to the router.

Port forwarding is fine and all that but it failed so we go to the next stop. (DMZ)
Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by jimfrank192 / August 29, 2014 10:09 AM PDT

I have an Apple Time Capsule. But my computer is far away from it. If that is what is required.

I would like to know what are the effects of this DMZ. Would i be better off calling my service provider

Collapse -
OK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2014 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok

I guess you are asking me to duplicate the web. I don't mind but I tend to keep it short. As in, when I want to see if it's a port blocked, I put the server's IP into the DMZ.

What the DMZ does is to allow traffic to get to the server from the web. It's that simple. I guess you could use a search engine for more detail.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. I see others asked how at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2014 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: OK
Collapse -
so
by jimfrank192 / August 29, 2014 10:26 AM PDT

setting this up should enable all the ports to now work once more?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2014 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: so

I think between the web and my writing here you would have tried it. I have failed you.

I apologize.
Bob

Collapse -
Did not work
by jimfrank192 / August 30, 2014 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Im sorry the way you explained was very confusing and the link did not help at all in the way of DMZ. The pictures are different from my program. I got support though and was able to do the equivalent of DMZ on my router and it does not work.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2014 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Did not work

Apple changed the name of what we see as DMZ in all other routers. I attempted to point that out with a few links but as you can tell, revealing details really matters. Since 99% of routers have a DMZ entry, well, without a make/model of the router I will point out the DMZ.

Got it?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.