Computer Help forum

Question

can not get pass the V class screen at start up HELP!!

by supasuzie / August 14, 2014 5:52 PM PDT

My friend has a generic PC with XP installed. She has trouble starting up getting the V class screen when she pushes the buttons she is told to to no response. She has no other external printers etc. connected. The button on the CD player jammed when she pushed it in a while back and the PC was working after this. When I asked her if it had a CD in the player she can't check as she can't boot the PC up to eject the CD.
Please help me to help her. She is not very computer savvy and I am trying to help her over the phone.
She is a pensioner and has not a lot of spare cash so I am trying to get her started without taking it to someone as the last fellow she contacted informed her it was an old PC 5years old and wanted to charge her viewing fee of $70 if she bought the PC to him to look at.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can not get pass the V class screen at start up HELP!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can not get pass the V class screen at start up HELP!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: boot problem
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 14, 2014 6:01 PM PDT

Not clear, alas.
- What is de "V class" screen?
- What "buttons is she told to press"?
- By whom or what?
- With "to no response" you mean that when she presses that button that someone or something tells her to press on the V class screen nothing happens? Is that the right interpretation?
- How old is that PC?

Kees

Collapse -
Suggestion about the cd
by Shepbob / August 15, 2014 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: boot problem

regarding the CD drawer. There is a small hole in the face of the drawer. Insert a small stiff wire into this hole and it will release the drawer so that you can pull it out.

Collapse -
things not put in
by supasuzie / August 15, 2014 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: boot problem

The PC is 5years old V class screen tells her to hit tab and delete but doesn't respond when she does. yes nothing happens.

Collapse -
Re: nothing happens
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 6:26 PM PDT
In reply to: things not put in

Assuming this is a BIOS-screen, not something in Windows, all she can do:
- disconnect everything except the keyboard (that is: mouse, printer, USB-sticks, etc)
- reboot and try again

If no luck:
- connect another keyboard (there's a small chance that it's broken or disconnected, and that would be some explanation)
- reboot and try again

If still no luck, repair most likely is more expensive than a better second-hand PC, maybe even more expensive than a brand-new Windows 8.1 PC.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.