HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Can not get Baldur's Gate to work on Vista

by vile_zoidberg / October 9, 2007 12:45 AM PDT

I recently purchased a laptop pre-packaged with Vista Home(120 gigs HD, 1 gig RAM, no video card--virtual, AMD 64 dual core something or other (turion?) 3.2 ghz), thinking that I could install my favorite older games and have something to occupy my time while I travel. Well, for the most part, it works superbly. I've successfully installed a few older titles, such as Fallout and Neverwinter Nights, but I can not get BG1 to work.

I can install it successfully, and it starts up fine (all of the videos work, the sound, everything). I can create a new character, but as soon as I click 'done' and the first level loads, the game crashes. I've tried reinstalling, updating drivers (although I fail to see how my old drivers would have been able to work with this title), and compatibility mode, for all previous windows versions. Any help to be offered would be greatly appreciated, especially since this is the last game I own that I haven't beaten.

The last thing I can think of is using a dual-core processor, but my web searches have turned nothing about BG and dual-core.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can not get Baldur's Gate to work on Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can not get Baldur's Gate to work on Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hint!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 1:34 AM PDT

Type

Baldur's Gate Vista

On google.com and use the first hit.

Bob

Collapse -
Hint?
by vile_zoidberg / October 9, 2007 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Hint!

Thank you, I looked at the forum, but it seemed to me it was a guy who wanted to access cheat commands on the BG console while using Vista. I'm still concerned with getting the thing to work. Perhaps by some bizarre fluke I came up with different search results.

Collapse -
2 or 4 CD version appears to matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Hint?

One does work the other doesn't.

Bob

Collapse -
3 or 4
by vile_zoidberg / October 10, 2007 12:47 AM PDT

Do you happen to know which one does? I'm using the four-disc version.

Collapse -
Your research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 or 4

I only point how to find the discussions.

The crash is interesting however. Did you head to the EVENT VIEWER to see why it crashed? Share the info.

Bob

Collapse -
event viewer
by vile_zoidberg / October 10, 2007 6:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Your research.

I'm at work right now, and don't have access to my computer, but if I remember correctly it had a string of gibberish with the end line being something like APPCRASH followed by some file extension.

Collapse -
The Event Viewer content will
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: event viewer

Usually tell us a clue. Remember I won't duplicate the more common answers most of the time regarding video, audio and such drivers. Most of the time when people post they've done all that.

Also your post lacks detail. It should have at least what the words in red you see each time you start a new post.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.