Laptops forum

General discussion

can not connect to a ssporster external modeum 33.6 fax

I have a dell widow xp with a conexant hda d330 mdc v.92 modeum in my laptop and can not connect to a us rebotics sporster external fax modeum 33.6 .. My last laptop connect to the us robtics so its something with the mda modeum or settings. I tryed changing the settings around but nothing has worked... ZAThanks for a reply

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can not connect to a ssporster external modeum 33.6 fax
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can not connect to a ssporster external modeum 33.6 fax
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Port or IRQ conflict

In reply to: can not connect to a ssporster external modeum 33.6 fax

What are you using for the USR modem in the way of a COM port? Are you using the motherboard's native ports or some sort of USB adapter? Of course you'll need to make sure that the serial cable is proper for modems. You'll want to look in device manager to see if the external modem is recognized. I'm fairly certain XP already has a compatible driver but not positive. If it's not recognized, you'll need to add the new hardware yourself. If it's recognized but not configured do to a resources conflict, you need to sort that out. Of course, if connected to a motherboard serial port, make sure that port is enabled in the BIOS. Good luck.

Collapse -
Modeum problems

In reply to: Port or IRQ conflict

Its on comm3 on my laptop and I can dial out to the us robtics and connect to it.. But i get no reponse and sometime I get garabe back like my settings are not right. I have tryed changing them but there like my old laptop but no connection..

Collapse -
Maybe I'm missing something here but

In reply to: Modeum problems

COM 3 doesn't sound right unless you're using some sort of adapter. Motherboards had COM ports 1 and 2. It was occupying IRQs 3 and 4 (but maybe not in that order). If you're using an adapter, perhaps it needs to be looked at. Anyway, you said you can dial out and connect. Does this mean you can hear the negotiation tones between you modem and the remote? and then you get garble back? What dialer/communication program are you using and what are you trying to connect to? I was presuming this was an internet dial-up attempt but it sounds like I was mistaken.

Collapse -
Can not get a reponse

In reply to: Maybe I'm missing something here but

Yes Its not a internet dial up. Im using hyperterminal to dial to a remote modeum to connect to a piece of equipment for wrk.. And I hear it connecting but I get nothing back Im using the same setup as before 9600 8 and 1 The only thing different is the modeum in my new laptop any ideas I connect to a us robic sporster as before.. I can give more information on my setup if you need it.. Thanks for your reponse

Collapse -
Tough one...too many variables

In reply to: Can not get a reponse

but are you saying it never connects or that it does connect but data appears garbled? If it cannot negotiate a connection, you should see a hang up signal. This sounds like an older modem if only 33.4. There were some proprietary features that came along as modems developed that caused some manufacturer's products to not be fully compatible with others. It's been a while since I've messed around with this so am a bit fuzzy. Much havoc could be caused by "init strings" and you'd want to make sure both modems used compatible setups. So, the brand and model at the other end might be a factor as well. You'll want to look very closely at any flow control being used at both the PC ports and the modems. Any flow control should be handled by modem hardware if possible and both ends must match.

Collapse -
Some USR init strings

In reply to: Tough one...too many variables

Collapse -
Another though

In reply to: Modeum problems

Can you look at port settings for COM3 and see what is says for flow control. I'm fairly certain you want it to say "none".

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.